137A Arundel Street

Guest warbinton

Guest warbinton

Hi there I came across this building when doing some surveying work for University its 137A Arundel Street. I noticed that its side external wall was bowing out very badly. I was wondering if anyone knows a near-enough date of when the building was built. Its current use is a Construction Contract company building and is located in-between The Globe Pub and the Furnival university building down the road. Any help would be superb!

Thanks in advance. Adam

I don't know if this helps but here are some directory entries for 137 Arundel Street:

Pigot's 1841 -- Laycock (Bros.) hair seating & curled hair manufacturer

White's 1849 -- Thomas Laycock (&Co.) hair seating & curled hair manufacturers

White's 1852 -- Thomas Laycock (& Co.) hair seating and curled hair manufacturers

White's 1871 -- Emery, William and Co, brass founders

Kelly's 1893 -- Joseph Hobman Grocer, flour & provision dealer

Jeremy

Guest warbinton

I don't know if this helps but here are some directory entries for 137 Arundel Street:

Pigot's 1841 -- Laycock (Bros.) hair seating & curled hair manufacturer

White's 1849 -- Thomas Laycock (&Co.) hair seating & curled hair manufacturers

White's 1852 -- Thomas Laycock (& Co.) hair seating and curled hair manufacturers

White's 1871 -- Emery, William and Co, brass founders

Kelly's 1893 -- Joseph Hobman Grocer, flour & provision dealer

Jeremy

Thats brill Jeremy! So does this mean around 1841?

So does this mean around 1841?

Not really. All the directory entries can really tell you is that there was a building at that address on those dates.

There are five listed buildings on Arundel Street, all of which are early 19th century, but 137 isn't one of them. The 1771 map shows the area as Alsop Fields, but also shows that there were already plans for the development of the area. Most of this original development occurred in the 1790s, and the 1823 map shows buildings on that site. However, the 1855 map (which you can view at old-maps.co.uk) shows this part of Arundel Street as clear of buildings, so it's possible that the site was redeveloped at around that time.

Jeremy

Hi there I came across this building when doing some surveying work for University its 137A Arundel Street. I noticed that its side external wall was bowing out very badly. I was wondering if anyone knows a near-enough date of when the building was built. Its current use is a Construction Contract company building and is located in-between The Globe Pub and the Furnival university building down the road. Any help would be superb!

Thanks in advance. Adam

He is a photo of 137A Arundel St, as Warbinton says the outer walls are bowing, though it does not show on the photo.

He is a photo of 137A Arundel St, as Warbinton says the outer walls are bowing, though it does not show on the photo.

As a matter of interest how far away is the City Lofts building ?......what a contrast ! From the appearance of the brickwork that building could date from the time Alsop Fields were first developed.

As a matter of interest how far away is the City Lofts building ?......what a contrast ! From the appearance of the brickwork that building could date from the time Alsop Fields were first developed.

About 300-400 yds or so behind me when I took the photo