Norfolk Baths, Bramall Lane

Guest Leipzig

Guest Leipzig

Following is a short extract from 'The Illustrated Guide to Sheffield and the Surrounding District' by Pawson and Brailsford 1879:

"The Norfolk Baths are situated in Bramall-lane. The large swimming bath measures 75 feet by 39 feet."

Anyone any ideas as to where the baths were located on Bramall Lane?

Following is a short extract from 'The Illustrated Guide to Sheffield and the Surrounding District' by Pawson and Brailsford 1879:

"The Norfolk Baths are situated in Bramall-lane. The large swimming bath measures 75 feet by 39 feet."

Anyone any ideas as to where the baths were located on Bramall Lane?

The baths were located between Clough Rd and John St ,where the garage is now.

Guest Leipzig

The baths were located between Clough Rd and John St ,where the garage is now.

Thanks for that POPPYCHRISTINA, the Baths are not listed in a trade directory dated 1904, or indicated on the Godfrey Map: Sheffield Park 1903. I had, incorrectly, assumed that the buildings on Bramall Lane, between Clough Road and John Street were taken up solely by the Britannia Brewery.

Regards

Leipzig

Finally managed to find a reference to these baths in the (Whites?) Sheffield and Rotherham directory for 1879.

In the description of the town is the bare entry - 'NORFOLK BATHS, Bramall lane, - erected 1878, proprietor Mrs. C. Tomlinson'. and it goes on to mention 'several slipper baths and a large swimming pool.'

However there is no mention of the baths in the street directory, either on Bramall lane or John street.

Hi

I used to work at WG Jenkinson which fronted onto Countess Rd as an apprentice in the 70s. The workshop went quite a way back toward Bramall Lane with entrances on both John St and Clough Rd. I was told that the origional buildings did form part the brewery, and many internal wall must have been removed by this time.

What stands out in my memory were some 6/7 ft deep chamber, which housed the Serobend Tank (and gas heaters) and the pouring areas in which pipes were stood up right in which the molten Serobend was poured until the pipes were full, solidified and could be bent without risk of the pipe walls collapsing.

This chamber underground were quite extensive and ceramic tiled, in places and i assumed was part of the brewery process, and had no idea until this post of a baths, i would imagine during the alterations in the 80s after WGJ had closed these were infilled.

Hi

I used to work at WG Jenkinson which fronted onto Countess Rd as an apprentice in the 70s. The workshop went quite a way back toward Bramall Lane with entrances on both John St and Clough Rd. I was told that the origional buildings did form part the brewery, and many internal wall must have been removed by this time.

What stands out in my memory were some 6/7 ft deep chamber, which housed the Serobend Tank (and gas heaters) and the pouring areas in which pipes were stood up right in which the molten Serobend was poured until the pipes were full, solidified and could be bent without risk of the pipe walls collapsing.

This chamber underground were quite extensive and ceramic tiled, in places and i assumed was part of the brewery process, and had no idea until this post of a baths, i would imagine during the alterations in the 80s after WGJ had closed these were infilled.

Sounds like it needs a Time Team dig

Sounds like it needs a Time Team dig

I suppose many of the origional walls will still be part of the infill, for many years, as apprentices ( and no doubt being smaller) we often had go below the tanks, down a steel ladder, with the under floor level being about 6/7 feet below the workshop floor level. This continued further under the workshop but beyond the tanks was covered by RSJ and steel plates.

As you can gather we didnt like spending to much time down there, so cannot recall any further features. Adjacent to this area i also remember us enlarging a doorway from the origional building walls, and as the wall was about 2ft thick, we found a number of redundant lead pipes passing within a outside cavity of the brickwork, which had been rendered .One of the older guys working with us mentioned this wall being part of the brewery, but this could be more appropiate to the transfer of water.