Building on the Wicker

dunsbyowl1867

Right, here goes...! From the new Pevsner Guide...

"The East side [of the Wicker] was dominated by the Clyde Steel Works of Samuel Osborn & Co from 1868 to 1970. Only the street elevation and one shop to the rear is left. The office block, built for Osborn's predecessor on the site, Shortbridge & Howell, in 1853, has a richly decorated front.

Tall, though of only 3 storeys, of brick with an ashlar facade in the classical style. Massive moulded wooden cornice. 3 arched recesses on the ground floor with voussoirs [wedge shaped stones forming the arch] and prominent keystones, the central one was formerly a cart entrance.

Then a balcony with an iron balustrade supported by chunky corbels, the outer 2 decorated with fish and the town's arms, the inner pair with elephants heads.

The first floor has venetian windows set in coved arches with prominent voussoirs and deep keystones with carved heads.

Channelled rustication to the 2 lower floors.

The remainder of the frontage to the Wicker was built in the early 20th century in plain red brick as shops with offices over."

Right, here goes...! From the new Pevsner Guide...

"The East side [of the Wicker] was dominated by the Clyde Steel Works of Samuel Osborn & Co from 1868 to 1970. Only the street elevation and one shop to the rear is left. The office block, built for Osborn's predecessor on the site, Shortbridge & Howell, in 1853, has a richly decorated front.

Tall, though of only 3 storeys, of brick with an ashlar facade in the classical style. Massive moulded wooden cornice. 3 arched recesses on the ground floor with voussoirs [wedge shaped stones forming the arch] and prominent keystones, the central one was formerly a cart entrance.

Then a balcony with an iron balustrade supported by chunky corbels, the outer 2 decorated with fish and the town's arms, the inner pair with elephants heads.

The first floor has venetian windows set in coved arches with prominent voussoirs and deep keystones with carved heads.

Channelled rustication to the 2 lower floors.

The remainder of the frontage to the Wicker was built in the early 20th century in plain red brick as shops with offices over."

'Here we go again' Bayleaf, :)

is It Shortbridge or Shortridge as in John Shortridge ?

My info says the latter, but could wrong.

Was it the same J Shortridge (as in the building of Wicker Arches) who built the building in 1853.

'Here we go again' Bayleaf, :)

is It Shortbridge or Shortridge as in John Shortridge ?

My info says the latter, but could wrong.

Was it the same J Shortridge (as in the building of Wicker Arches) who built the building in 1853.

Hawkeye strikes again! :blink: My Typo Steve, you're quite right, it should be Shortridge!

However, the Pevsner says the Arches were built of stone from Lord Wharncliffe's quarry at Wharncliffe Crags by John Fowler, engineer, with architects Weightman and Hadfield. So where does Shortridge get involved?

Signed

Puzzled (or just ignorant) of Sheffield

Hawkeye strikes again! :blink: My Typo Steve, you're quite right, it should be Shortridge!

However, the Pevsner says the Arches were built of stone from Lord Wharncliffe's quarry at Wharncliffe Crags by John Fowler, engineer, with architects Weightman and Hadfield. So where does Shortridge get involved?

Signed

Puzzled (or just ignorant) of Sheffield

The only information I can go on is what I find on the net, one site says ..

"Shortridge John,, brickmaker and railway contractor, lived at Chipping House, Abbeydale road.

the man responsible for building the railway from Sheffield to Manchester and the Wicker Arches"

I can't find anything to to back up either statement,

some sites appear to add incorrect info.

So maybe he had an involvement in the building of the arches & rail line?

"Shortridge John,, brickmaker and railway contractor, lived at Chipping House, Abbeydale road.

the man responsible for building the railway from Sheffield to Manchester and the Wicker Arches"

Hi Steve,

I'm sure I've seen something in a book somewhere.

Do you think this street, Shortridge Street, in Attercliffe (off Attercliffe Road - next to Banners) could be named after him?

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s00779

Sounds like the traditional herarchy, the architects design it, the engineer supervises the building, and John and his lads provide the shovels and muscles?

Hi Steve,

Do you think this street, Shortridge Street, in Attercliffe (off Attercliffe Road - next to Banners) could be named after him?

Sounds like the same man

Shortridge Street, after John Shortridge who owned land and property in this street and in Chippingham Street and Place, which were named after Chippingham House, built and originally owned by John Shortridge, the well-known civil engineer from Cumberland who built a house for himself at Broadfield and called it Chipping House. In 1955 a letter to the Sheffield Telegraph suggested that the name came about because the house was built of chippings left over from the Wicker Arches. In fact his wife was from the parish of Chipping in Lancashire

(All from Peter Harvey's book on Street Names of Sheffield)

His wife Ellen is buried in the same grave as John,

looks like she only lasted a couple of months after his death on the 7th May 1869

I can't work this one out,

on one side of the gave it reads ..

JOHN SHORTRIDGE

BORN 18TH MARCH 1803 DIED 7 th MAY 1869

IN LOVING MEMORY OF FAITH

BELOVED WIFE OF THE LATE WILLIAM SHORTRIDGE

DIED DEC 28 th 1929 AGED 88 YEARS

:blink:

1881 Census :rolleyes:

Faith SHORTRIDGE Household

Female Other Information: Birth Year <1844>

Birthplace Handsworth, York, England

Age 37 Occupation Gentlewoman (Annuitant)

Marital Status W <Widowed> Head of Household

Faith SHORTRIDGE RelationHead Disability Source Information:

DwellingBeighton Lane Census Place Handsworth, York, England

& Marriage

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page Marriages Jun 1863 (>99%)

RHODES Faith Rotherham 9c545,

SHORTRIDGE William Rotherham 9c545,

1881 Census :rolleyes:

Faith SHORTRIDGE Household

Female Other Information: Birth Year <1844>

Birthplace Handsworth, York, England

Age 37 Occupation Gentlewoman (Annuitant)

Marital Status W <Widowed> Head of Household

Faith SHORTRIDGE RelationHead Disability Source Information:

DwellingBeighton Lane Census Place Handsworth, York, England

Oho right I've got it now,

FAITH is a name then, I never realised thaught it was as 'In Faith' :(

Thanks Dunsby.

Oho right I've got it now,

FAITH is a name then, I never realised thaught it was as 'In Faith' :(

Thanks Dunsby.

Deaths Sep 1869 (>99%)Shortridge Ellen 69 Ecclesall B. 9c162,

Done well to escape the bulldozer - any information on its past?

Although more recently (late 1970s) my dad worked on the refurbishment of the building that is now Sadacca. It seems to be a combination of buildings knocked together and is much bigger at the back and upstairs than appears at the front.

I once went to have a look round during the refurb, my dad was having to remove an old bank type vault with a sledgehammer. As you can imagine it was very hard work, i think it took a good week to remove.

I was also told that the building was part of the probation service prior to Sadacca, this was possibly early 1970s.

Guest 30_degrees

Done well to escape the bulldozer - any information on its past?

Back in 1987 I worked for City Training part of the Chamber of Commerce. One of the YTS lads wanted to work in the music industry and his work placement was at SADDACA. The 24 track recording studio was most impressive.

For over ten years I worked a couple of doors from that building,

I also worked in the Wicker area for a total of thirty years.

So it would be expected of me to know some history of the above building,

but sadly I don't!

In fact it's the first time I've noticed the heads that are set on the stonework,

I even went inside the Sadacca building for a drink,

by invitation from the owner/manager.

The bar was upstairs,

so it would be interesting for me to know some history about the place.

Steve - also worth having a closer look! There is a plaque on the entrance!

Steve - also worth having a closer look! There is a plaque on the entrance!

Obviously took the Clyde name around with him :

Samuel Osborne, File & Steel Manufacturer, Cylde Works, 180 Broad Lane; home Broomgrove Crescent (White's 1852)

Obviously took the Clyde name around with him :

Samuel Osborne, File & Steel Manufacturer, Cylde Works, 180 Broad Lane; home Broomgrove Crescent (White's 1852)

Perhaps it was a monkey

On 27/08/2009 at 14:10, dunsbyowl1867 said:

Hi Steve,

Link restored. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s00779&pos=1&action=zoom&id=4667

Shortridge, Howell & Co., steel converters & refiners, Hartford Steel Works, Wicker. 

From Illustrated Guide to Sheffield Pawson and Brailsford, first published 1862

IMG_20221229_180814.thumb.jpg.ee40e6ea1ad2d73ed1e1871c9dcc0984.jpg

Samuel Osborn, converter and refiner of steel, Clyde Steel Works, Wicker. 

From Illustrated Guide to Sheffield, Pawson and Brailsford, first published 1862.

IMG_20221230_090639.thumb.jpg.30ddfda1ef2f4b434d20c3118dac2f75.jpg

On 30/12/2022 at 00:07, Ponytail said:

Shortridge, Howell & Co., steel converters & refiners, Hartford Steel Works, Wicker. 

From Illustrated Guide to Sheffield Pawson and Brailsford, first published 1862

IMG_20221229_180814.thumb.jpg.ee40e6ea1ad2d73ed1e1871c9dcc0984.jpg

Sheffield Flood Claim:

John Shortridge & William Howell trading as Shortridge Howell & Co., Steel Manufacturers, Hartford Steel Works. 

https://sheffieldfloodclaimsarchive.shu.ac.uk/claimSummary.cfm?claim=1-245

John Shortridge, steel merchant, Wicker. As owner of 5 freehold houses in Spring Street. 

https://sheffieldfloodclaimsarchive.shu.ac.uk/claimSummary.cfm?claim=2-1419