Stag's Head/Sharrow Head in 1854

Sharrow Head

Open 1822

1822 Robert Marples

1825 Robert Marples

1828 Robert Marples

1833 Robert Marples

1834 Robert Marples

1837 Robert Marples (died 28/8/1839 Natural Decay, aged 68 )

1845 Charlotte Marples

1846 Charlotte Marples

1852 Samuel Marples

1854 Samuel Marples

1856 Samuel Marples

1862 W Harwood

1881 Henry Redfearn (Psalter Lane)

1893 William Wilcockson Roberts

1901 Robert Rowland (15 Psalter Lane)

1905 Robert Roland (12 Psalter Lane)

1911 Robert Rowland

1925 Mrs Keziah Thompson

1948 Edwin Stanley

1951 Edwin Stanley Beer (15 Psalter Lane)

Guest plain talker

the Stag has a link to Charlie Peace:- the inquest into the death of the Police Officer whom Peace shot was held there.

He shot the Police Officer whilst escaping from his lover's house, after also shooting the lover's husband.

Plain Talker

I think you are a bit mixed up there. The inquest at the Stag was into the death of Arthur Dyson who was shot by Peace after Peace had gone to his house on Ecclesall Rd in an effort to see his wife Catherine Dyson.

The police officer he shot was Pc Nicholas Cock, he was a Manchester officer and he was murdered by Peace near Whalley Range in a completely seperate offence and sometime before. Whilst Peace was waiting to be hanged for the murder of Dyson he confessed to the murder of Cock, until this point nobody had any idea it was Peace who killed the police officer.

Indeed a man called Hebron had been sentenced to life imprisonment for that murder.

Guest plain talker

Plain Talker

I think you are a bit mixed up there. The inquest at the Stag was into the death of Arthur Dyson who was shot by Peace after Peace had gone to his house on Ecclesall Rd in an effort to see his wife Catherine Dyson.

The police officer he shot was Pc Nicholas Cock, he was a Manchester officer and he was murdered by Peace near Whalley Range in a completely seperate offence and sometime before. Whilst Peace was waiting to be hanged for the murder of Dyson he confessed to the murder of Cock, until this point nobody had any idea it was Peace who killed the police officer.

Indeed a man called Hebron had been sentenced to life imprisonment for that murder.

thanks for that pointer there, Siren. I do beg pardon.

I remember the story of the Stag being used for an inquest related to a death associated with Peace's lover (Mrs Dyson) and Imust have mixed the death of the police officer up and joined it to the shooting of Mr Dyson.

However, I am certain the house involved was on Psalter Lane, at the Banner Cross end. (there's some link to the Gennel beside the Banner cross pub which I believe was used by Peace to flee) I believe that the Dysons moved to Banner Cross, from Darnall, in an effort to prevent Peace from finding them after Mrs Dyson ended the affair.

Plain Talker

Like you I used to think that the house where the murder took place was on Psalter Lane.

Then I saw a drawing made by Sheffield Police of the murder scene.The Dysons lived in the second house above what is now known as Marmion Rd.

Dyson was shot near to the front of the first house , near to where the outside toilets were, they are now gone. I think both houses are now an estate agents. The gennel story is popular but also untrue he escaped into fields directly opposite the scene on the other side of Ecclesall Rd., no houses where there at that time. From there its believed he got a train to Hull from Attercliffe Station.

The Dysons did move from Darnall, 40 Britannia Rd, the Dysons lived at 36, both houses are now gone but Britannia Rd still exists.

Its anybodys guess whether he had an affair with Mrs Dyson, I think the evidence points that way but she denied it in court and the defence were unable to break her.

No need to"beg pardon" Peace is surrounded by myth and I suspect most were started in his time and are now firmly entrenched. He continues to fascinate Sheffield people.

Guest plain talker

No need to"beg pardon" Peace is surrounded by myth and I suspect most were started in his time and are now firmly entrenched. He continues to fascinate Sheffield people.

Ah, but I am a real stickler for accuracy, (ask anyone who knows me and my posts) and I am not happy to repeat a fallacy, siren, so I do beg folk's pardon If I am perpetuating an untruth.

I suppose Peace was a man of legend, as bad as he was, because of the antics he got up to, and the daring escape from custody whilst being transported on the train etc.

I agree, that Peace's story is fascinating. I currently live very close to the stag, and grew up a few hundred yards from it, so the links to the locality do hold a real fascination for me. I am rapt by the history of this area.