Sheffield Savings Bank

dunsbyowl1867

The bank became part of TSB and then LLoyds TSB which is now taking over the world!

Anyone save their pocket money in one of these - my dad said you had to take these to the bank - who held the key!

The bank became part of TSB and then LLoyds TSB which is now taking over the world!

Anyone save their pocket money in one of these - my dad said you had to take these to the bank - who held the key!

Your Dad's right. I had one, now long gone. The moneybox itself was made of brass and were very heavy, even when empty. (as mine always was!)

Never had the money box but my mum has recently found and given me a Sheffield Savings Bank account book for an account she opened for me on 19 October 1959 (so the book is 1959) and which was used extensively with deposits and withdrawals until 21 April 1962 since when it has been a dormant account.

The final balance in the book is 3 shillings and fourpence (17p in modern money).

Any idea how much it will have made in interest since then?

The final balance in the book is 3 shillings and fourpence (17p in modern money).

Any idea how much it will have made in interest since then?

As this is a history society, perhaps there will be more "interest" in these scans of the bank book than in an monetary value.

I have one of these somewhere, We used to save through the school bank and when you had £1 it was transferred to a Sheffield Savings Bank account if I remember rightly

I have one of these somewhere, We used to save through the school bank and when you had �1 it was transferred to a Sheffield Savings Bank account if I remember rightly

This one doesn't appear to be my school bank account book, although I did have a school bank account as well.

This book has deposits of £1 made into it by my parents, but I seem to remember going to school with 2/6 (half a crown, =12.5p) every so often to put in the school bank account, which at that time was run by TSB. May be wrong on this though as I used to go to school with half a crown every Monday morning to pay for a weeks worth of school dinners. (Imagine that, 5 two course meals all for 12.5p!!!)

This one doesn't appear to be my school bank account book, although I did have a school bank account as well.

This book has deposits of £1 made into it by my parents, but I seem to remember going to school with 2/6 (half a crown, =12.5p) every so often to put in the school bank account, which at that time was run by TSB. May be wrong on this though as I used to go to school with half a crown every Monday morning to pay for a weeks worth of school dinners. (Imagine that, 5 two course meals all for 12.5p!!!)

I seem to remember at junior scholl buying savings stamps, not to sure the values.

I seem to remember at junior scholl buying savings stamps, not to sure the values.

Was that in a Sheffield school or one in North Derbyshire?

Different councils may have run different banking systems within schools.

In fact when I first started teaching in Derbyshire we sold "dinner tickets" on Monday mornings for school dinners.

By that time a single dinner ticket cost 25p, 5 times what I had paid at Junior school 15 years earlier!

Guest Gramps

Some interesting (or not!) statistics about the occupations of depositors in the Sheffield Savings Bank in 1840.

The old branch of TSB on Hatfield House Lane has had a change of use - now a loan/cheque clearing place/pawnshop. A sign of the 'financial' times!

Lyn

The old branch of TSB on Hatfield House Lane has had a change of use - now a loan/cheque clearing place/pawnshop. A sign of the 'financial' times!

Lyn

From the list of branches in picture #2, post #5 perhaps we could investigate the current state of all these branches.

Lyn

This was the branch I had an account in. As mentioned before the school bank collected up to a pound then it was put in the branch account. I had the money box also. It was the bank that had the key they would empty the Ha'pennys and thrupney bits out and put them in your account.

One was given out to all the pupils in my junior school class in the early 50's. It was from the Yorkshire Penny Bank, although I can't remember where the branch was. I found it was possible, when times were tough, using two knives to hold the prongs back, to relieve the bank of it's contents. Took a lot of patience though, so the cause had to be desperate enough to go through the effort.

Lyn

Here you are!

At least the buildings still there unlike "The Sicey" pub next door

The site of the Sicey,

Mick - everythings going, like my hair ;-)

I came across this S.S.B. book,

it was my fathers and he opened the account on 28th of January 1929,

he would have been sixteen years old at the time.

He started work down the Nunnery pit at the age of fourteen

but I'm not sure when he stopped working there,

maybe some of his deposits were from wages he earnt while at the Nunnery.

Note the Saturday opening hours; the bank re-opened on 'Saturday Evening From 5 To 7 O'Clock'

one possible reason could have been for shopkeepers to deposit there takings, perhaps,

or was there another reason for the late night opening?

I came across this S.S.B. book,

it was my fathers and he opened the account on 28th of January 1929,

he would have been sixteen years old at the time.

He started work down the Nunnery pit at the age of fourteen

but I'm not sure when he stopped working there,

maybe some of his deposits were from wages he earnt while at the Nunnery.

Note the Saturday opening hours; the bank re-opened on 'Saturday Evening From 5 To 7 O'Clock'

one possible reason could have been for shopkeepers to deposit there takings, perhaps,

or was there another reason for the late night opening?

Quite a wealthy man your dad Steve,

Two pounds nineteen shillings and sixpence (modern equivalent £2.98, round up the half p)

Beats my three shillings and fourpence (17p) in 1962

...and with the interest on ;-)

Guest galena

I remember having one of these 'books' and a bank book for the TSB from the early fifties. There was a branch on the main road in Crookes, just after Toftwood Road going towards the tram terminus on the left hand side, if I remember correctly.

I also remember taking 'bank money to school as well as having twice as much bank money as spending money from my grandfather and we are talking pence her not pounds!

I recently commented in my current bank that I worked on the advice of Mr Mickawber but as one might expect they did not know what I was talking about. Were we brought up with correct values about saving in view of this topic I ask myself?

Galena

I recently commented in my current bank that I worked on the advice of Mr Mickawber but as one might expect they did not know what I was talking about. Were we brought up with correct values about saving in view of this topic I ask myself?

Galena

Mr Mickawber, the character from a Dickens novel :-

"Annual income 20 shillings, Annual expenditure 20 shillings and sixpence, result misery :(

Annual income 20 shillings, Annual expenditure 19 shillings and sixpence, result, happiness lol "

Best financial advice ever given, - but how many people "live beyond their means" and have expenditures greater than their incomes and so have acquired large debts?

No wonder they are in such a mess, - should have listened to Mr. Mickawber.