Cotton Mill Road

Hjdary

Have just popped in to the new Tesco at the bottom of Corporation Street and found this. . . .

So the first question is was there ever a cotton mill there?

And the second is...is this the oldest road sign left in the City???

Cotton Mill Row rather than Road (the last white fragment on the sign is part of a '3' (for S3).

Just to the west and parallel is Cotton Street. On the other side of Cotton Street is the site of the Sheffield Workhouse which was in use from 1829 to 1881. This was housed in buildings of the former cotton mill of Messrs Heathfield. An earlier cotton mill belonging to Heathfield, Middleton and Co had been destroyed by fire in 1810 (not necessarily on the same site).

I believe the workhouse/cotton mill was sold off after 1881 and survived until WW2 when it was badly damaged in the blitz and demolished. I'm sure I have seen a photo of it after the bombs but I failed to find it on a previous occasion.

Hugh

Have just popped in to the new Tesco at the bottom of Corporation Street and found this. . . .

So the first question is was there ever a cotton mill there?

And the second is...is this the oldest road sign left in the City???

There's a similar name sign on Whiteley Wood Road facing the top of Ivy Cottage Lane, but it can't be more than 96 years old as it only got that name in 1912, it was previously Meadow Lane.

Related question :

I live in a City, once a town connected to a City

i.e. Wallsend, near to Newcastle upon Tyne

our Postcode is NE28 XXX

relating to Newcastle upon Tyne.

How many places, like Sheffield have/had postcodes with only 1 letter - I was born in S6, my Sisters live in S11 and S57

I think I know the answer, Leeds is LS for example - but who else has a single letter Postcode district ?