Searching for Frank Shaw Barker

Guest Helene

Guest Helene

Does anyone have any info on Frank Shaw Barker. What I do know is that he was born around 1881 and his Father Joseph was believed to be a glass blower. Frank was married to Sarah Coupland, late Cartwright, formerly Liversidge and the family lived in Surrey Road, Darnall. After Sarah's death in 1926, Frank re-married Frances Congreve, formerly Franks. Frank Barker was a Coal Miner and lived in or around Darnall from at least 1908 and may have worked at Tinsley Park Colliery, he died in 1948 and is buried in Coventry Road Cemetery. Have tried the Census returns, BMD entries all to no gain. Frank was my Great Grandfather and I'm keen to learn more about him and his parents as my family tree on his line has come to an abrupt halt. Hope someone out there can help, thanks for taking the time to read this.

Hi Helene,

You seem to subscribe to Ancestry or suchlike so for the 1901 census have a look at

Piece 4345 Folio 135 Page 9 at Ecclesall Bierlow.

I tried to view the image but kept getting a processing error!

Herman Heilmidt, head aged 38, b. Bradford

Eliza, wife aged 37, b. Sheffield

Frank S., son-on-law, aged 16, b. Sheffield

Ethel May, dau.-in-law, aged 17, b. Sheffield

These seem to be a bit young to be a married couple, but stepchildren were sometimes referred to as in-laws.

Marriage page at Ecclesall Bierlow Mar. 1896 includes Eliza Barker and Herman Pfeilschmidt

Death reg. Ecclesall Bierlow Dec. 1885 of Joseph Barker, b. 1833

(there is another in Dec. 1883, b. 1815, but a bit old??)

Birth Reg. Ethel May Barker June 1883 at Ecclesall Bierlow

There is a Francis Sydney Barker at Ecclesall B in June 1885, so this could rule out this family!

Any help?

Regards,

Doreen

DoreenC

Thanks for the info to help me in my quest and you are absolutely right, the Ancestry web site features heavily in my efforts. Things have moved on a bit with my research and the theory now is that my Gr Grandfather may well have been born Frank Shepherd, the son of Mary Elinor Shepherd who gave birth out of wedlock and the Father's name is absent from the birth register (could this have been Joseph Barker). Mary went on to Marry John Shaw who became the licensee of the Halfway House in Britannia Road and Frank consequently became Frank Shaw. I have found him residing with relatives of Sarah who later became Mrs Frank Shaw Barker (1901 Census). My assumption, and it is only an assumption at this time was that Frank went on to take the Surname of his father (Joseph Barker) and became Frank Shaw Barker. Sadly, this is all pretty much hypothesis and circumstantial at this stage but I keep hoping for the little bit of info to arise which might confirm it all. My next task is the Burgess lists to try and check for a change of name at an address and also to keep digging in relation to Joseph Barker. Thank you for the info you have provided re Joseph Barker from the death entries, I will look into this and keep my fingers crossed.

Best wishes.

The plot thickens! Having viewed the 1911 Census records and voters registers, it seems that my Great Grandfather Frank Shaw Barker (name by which his family knew him and name on his headstone) also went by the name of Frank Warren born around 1881 in Conisbro (name on census and voters lists). I know that this is the same person as all the documents I have whether it be census documents, voters lists or marriage, birth and death certificates show his address as being 66 Surrey Road, Darnall yet on some he is known as Frank Shaw Barker and on others as Frank Warren. My Great Grandmother's name also varies between Barker and Warren depending on which records you are looking at. Incidentally, the childrens names are all constant as Coupland (My Great Grandmother's name by her previous marriage) and my Great Great Grandmother is also living at the address as further confirmation that I have the correct people.

I had thought (evidently somewhat erroneously) that the 1911 census might have shed some light on my mysterious relative, but I am now more confused than ever! If these names ring a bell with anyone or feature in your research I would dearly love to hear from you.

hello Helene,

What a tangled web!

One thing that is confusing me. You wrote in your first message...

"Sarah Coupland, late Cartwright, formerly Liversidge "

..which suggests she was born LIVERSIDGE, married a CARTWRIGHT and then married a COUPLAND.

But that isn't correct.

Her first marriage:

GRO Marriages DEC Qtr 1894

COUPLAND George Allsop Ashton 8d 773

LIVERSIDGE Sarah Ashton 8d 773

George A. COUPLAND died in 1899. In 1901 Sarah COUPLAND is living at 33 Surrey Rd with 3 children and 3 members of the LIVERSIDGE family.

If she did marry a CARTWRIGHT this looks a likely marriage:

GRO Marriages MAR Qtr 1904

CARTWRIGHT William Henry Sheffield 9c 714

COUPLAND Sarah Sheffield 9c 714

A Wiliam Henry Cartwright died in Sheffield the following year.

Do you have a marriage for Sarah to Frank? If so is she a CARTWRIGHT or a COUPLAND?

Hugh

Hugh, thanks for you reply and tangled web just doesn't do it justice, this has been driving us all crazy now for over two years and the more we find out, the less we seem to know!

You are correct re the order of marriages (my mistake on the original post), Sarah Liversidge married George Allsopp Coupland, a policeman from Stalybridge who was killed in a quarrying accident after moving to Sheffield. Her second husband was indeed William Henry Cartwright a Pit Deputy who also died at a young age. Children from both marriages were alive in 1911 are are all recorded in the census under the surname of Coupland. Sarah's Mother Mary Ann Liversidge is also living with them at 66 Surrey Road. I have the birth certificate of another daughter of Sarah And Frank from 1913 on which she is named as Sarah Barker late Coupland formerly Liversidge (no mention of Cartwright).

I am unable to find any record of a marriage between Sarah and Frank in any combination of their various surname's but am still trying with mis-spellings and anything else I can think of.