Sign in to follow this  
RichardB

John Y Cowlishaw

John Y Cowlishaw, Electro-plater & fruit knife maker of 89 Arundel Street (Kelly's 1893)

John Y Cowlishaw, Manufacturer of gold & silver fruit knives of 101 Napier Street (White's 1919)

John Y Cowlishaw, Manufacturer of gold & silver fruit knives of 101 Napier Street (Kelly's 1925)

Cowlishaw Road is named after this man, now what does the initial "Y" stand for ? and has anyone got any of his work, or even pictures ?

Hi Richard. The Y is for Yeomans. According to Simon Moore's book, Penknives and other folding knives, JYC produced some of the finest mid 19th cent fruit knives. The book has a small B & W photo of some knives. If you don't have the book, please let me know.

added: from a source called White's 857 directory (1857?) under Cutlery-Silver, Fruit, and desert knife mfrs.

Cowlishaw J. Y., yd 8 Market st

Hi Richard. The Y is for Yeomans. According to Simon Moore's book, Penknives and other folding knives, JYC produced some of the finest mid 19th cent fruit knives. The book has a small B & W photo of some knives. If you don't have the book, please let me know.

added: from a source called White's 857 directory (1857?) under Cutlery-Silver, Fruit, and desert knife mfrs.

Cowlishaw J. Y., yd 8 Market st

I don't have the book, though I think I may have read a friends copy; not sure !!

Sorry to bring a sombre tone to this thread, but...

Sheffield Local Register

23 Jan 1895

Mr. J. Y. Cowlishaw, of Tapton Cliffe, Fulwood

road, shoots himself: Verdict of coroner's jury,

" Suicide while temporarily insane."

28 Aug 1895

Tapton Cliffe, the residence of the late Mr. J.

Y. Cowlishaw, sold to Mr. J. J. Saville for £4500.

25 Oct 1895

The real and personal estate of the late John

Yeomans Cowlishaw, of Tapton Cliffe, Sheffield,

proved at £63,879.

A detailed pedigree on Genforum

which includes:

John Yeomans Cowlishaw, born on 7 May 1829, in Sheffield, England - died on 23 January 1895, at Rotherham, Yorkshire, England. John and his brother, Joseph, were raised by their uncle, John Newton Mappin, who inherited the Masbro’ [Marsborough] Old Brewery business and co-founded a cutlery business. The boys were later placed in the custody of a spinster aunt, Elizabeth Mappin, who believed the boys were ill served being associated with the “evils” of the brewing industry. John eventually apprenticed in the cutlery trade and later owned his own business. John married on 24 August 1853, at St. John Church Broughton in the Salford District of Manchester in Lancashire, England Sarah Briddon, born 11 December 1828 (christened on 11 December 1828), in Manchester, England - died on 16 November 1893, in Sheffield, England. Sarah was buried on 20 November 1893, in the General Cemetery at Sheffield.

An antipodean grandson

Hugh

I have a JYC Fruit Knife.

Images attached.

Anyone wanna fill me in with any dates or valuations?

I looked at Silvermarks and the relevant dates that the letters mean. But I cannot find a match for the particular font used on this knife. The "Y".

I have a JYC Fruit Knife.

Images attached.

Anyone wanna fill me in with any dates or valuations?

I looked at Silvermarks and the relevant dates that the letters mean. But I cannot find a match for the particular font used on this knife. The "Y".

Just thought you may find these interesting

In Tweedales Directory it makes no mention of Portland Works, it does say that the firm stayed on Arundel St.

Can anyone let me know when J Y Cowlishaw had a workshop on Portland Works

In Tweedales Directory it makes no mention of Portland Works, it does say that the firm stayed on Arundel St.

1975, if this is correct ....

"Needham Engineering Ompan Ltd. (formerly Needham Engineering Ltd.); J.Y. Cowlishaw Ltd., cutlers; Wm. Needham, jeweller and E. Atkinson and Sons Ltd. Portland Works, Hill Street"

Link to picturesheffield

Not saying it was the sme J.Y. Cowlishaw?

Does anyone know if this J Y Cowlishaw was related in anyway to the farming families of the Park District and around Manor Lodge?

Sorry to bring a sombre tone to this thread, but...

Sheffield Local Register

23 Jan 1895

Mr. J. Y. Cowlishaw, of Tapton Cliffe, Fulwood

road, shoots himself: Verdict of coroner's jury,

" Suicide while temporarily insane."

28 Aug 1895

Tapton Cliffe, the residence of the late Mr. J.

Y. Cowlishaw, sold to Mr. J. J. Saville for £4500.

25 Oct 1895

The real and personal estate of the late John

Yeomans Cowlishaw, of Tapton Cliffe, Sheffield,

proved at £63,879.

The newspaper article goes on to list the "the larger and more commodious premises in Arundel Street" as among his assets, and the 1893 Kelly’s Directory for Sheffield contains an entry “John Y Cowlishaw, Electro-plater & fruit knife maker of 89 Arundel Street".

By 1901 the Sheffield Pearl Works was being managed by George Clifford Saville at 89 Arundel Street, and an article in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph, 14 Feb 1914 page 15, states "The founder of the present firm, the late Mr. George Saville, took over the business from Mr. J. J. Saville, through whom the claim is made that these works were the birthplace of the trade in Sheffield, he having actually introduced the first cut shell into Solingen, the Sheffield of Germany.” (The "late Mr George Saville" was the father of the man runing the place in 1901.)

Can anyone shed any light on how this works passed from John Cowlishaw's estate to John James Saville? There is a family tradition that it was acquired in settlement of a debt, but if so it must have been a big one.

John.

Hi there every one, haven't been on here lately, still collecting Sheffield knives and repairing some if possible,just come back Fromm a long weekend down Dorset and came across in an antique shop a J Y C,silver fruit knife and as you have been discussing this maker wondered if you could date it for me please.

IMG_20190810_151851.jpg

Hello, I can possibly offer some dating to the knife blades.

1567396556_J.YCPOS2MARKSu1912y1941.jpg.4a1eea28638d1901a212d166308a31c3.jpg

The oldest of the 2 blades belongs to Adrian's knife.  We see the crown mark and know tha blades were marked by the Sheffield Guild and thus I read the date letter as a stylised "u" and it means the silver was assayed just before WW1 in 1912. If the letter is not a "u", but is a fairly similar styled "n", it would be for 1905.

George21's blade is wartime but likely WW2. The date letter, a lower case "y", that was used for 1941. The silver website "silvermakersmarks.co.uk" states that after the suicide the silver business was carried on by a son and gives 4 addresses for the base "Market Street, Sheffield; then in succession: Baker's Hill; Arundel Street; Napier Street" over the period 1862- 1950.

Kalfred

Quite a few John Y Cowlishaw items appear on Ebay, This lovely silver pocket button hook is on at the moment for 48.00 including postage and described as   ------  

" A fine antique Sterling silver Folding Pocket Button Hook ,the Mother of Pearl polished and engraved to one face polished flower handle side , the hook silver with hallmarks has signs of use , this beautiful item is hallmarked sterling silver for John Yeomans Cowlishaw ,Sheffield Sterling . L = 1903 Cowlishaw killed himself late 1890 s ,the mark continued to be used by his son ,the Silver with small use marks need a clean in the details , the spring action fine and tight the mother of pearl in good condition ,sold as shown , the size approx 5.5 cm long x 1.2 cm wide , it will improve with a clean, lots of high quality items listed . New to the market from House Clearance . "

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/antique-Sterling-Silver-pocket-Button-Hook-M-O-P-John-Y-Cowlishaw-Sheff-1903/323788912386?hash=item4b6352b702:g:IloAAOSwNZxcwg03

john_y_cowlishaw_button_hook_open.jpg

john_y_cowlishaw_button_hook_closed.jpg

john_y_cowlishaw_marks.jpg