More pictures of Victorian relatives needed

RichardB

Howay Folks, (well I have lived in the North East since 1981)

We would like to see more family pictures, more "Who was this ?" type-mysteries.

No, we can't guarantee a success but you'll never find a keener audience willing to give it a go.

Hi RichardB Just an old photo of my Great Grandad Joseph Bailey Green Born 1848 who owned an Engineering firm in Sheffield

on his knee is my Uncle Joe Born 1895 and to his right my Uncle Tommy Born 1882. Take note of Tommys Suit and Joes Dress type garment ?? This Business was in the Neepsend Area his trade was Engine Fitter, I was told many years ago that he was friendly with The Prince of Wales and The Duke of Norfolk and they were heavily involved in all kinds of Gambling and he eventually lost the business to one of them,The firm was called Progress or Premier i am not sure which the Challenge is can anyone find anything out about this ???

First punt :

Joseph Green, a mechanical engineer of Progress Works, Sudbury Street. Home was 24 Gray Street in 1911.

----------------

Now, I can't picture either Sudbury Street nor Gray Street at this precise moment, but it might work ...

ineering firm in Sheffield ... Neepsend Area his trade was Engine Fitter ... firm was called Progress or Premier

Land And Buildings At Sudbury Street, 1 Roscoe Road (Blue Chip Valeters)

Burnt Tree Lane, Hoyle Street (No.78), Malinda Street (Progress Works, Former Titanic Works & No36 & Meadow Street (No. 96)

Sheffield

S3 7EX

from http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-coun...ng-applications

First punt :

Joseph Green, a mechanical engineer of Progress Works, Sudbury Street. Home was 24 Gray Street in 1911.

----------------

Now, I can't picture either Sudbury Street nor Gray Street at this precise moment, but it might work ...

This is outside 24 Gray Street. Obviously this wont help you to locate it

because that part of Pitsmoor has been

leveled rebuilt and leveled and rebuilt since

this photo was taken.

• Like 1

He was born in Thornhill Lees.

I was just about to ask ... then I looked at an Atlas; he'll be registed at Dewsbury then. Strange he's registered as Joseph Bailey Green but doesn't show in any Census as that. I wondered if the Bailey part of the name was acquired through marriage, but no, he seems to have lost a bit of his name rather than gained a bit.

... my Great Grandad Joseph Bailey Green Born 1848 who owned an Engineering firm in Sheffield ...

Josephs Parents, brothers, sisters etc http://www.thebakers.force9.co.uk/fam00377.htm

Josephs marriage, children etc http://www.thebakers.force9.co.uk/fam00995.htm

You probably know all this, I'm just providing a link to the answers for anyone that might be interested.

I was just about to ask ... then I looked at an Atlas; he'll be registed at Dewsbury then. Strange he's registered as Joseph Bailey Green but doesn't show in any Census as that. I wondered if the Bailey part of the name was acquired through marriage, but no, he seems to have lost a bit of his name rather than gained a bit.

Hi RichardB Thankyou for all your hard work i have been in contact with the Bakers for quite a while and we have both helped each other on certain aspects.

The Bailey part of my Great Grandads name seems to come from his Mothers Maiden name Mary Bailey b1807 and her Father Thom Bailey b1780,

Any reason to suppose it's not England ?

Belting Princess Leia haircut on the right-hand side; not quite sure about the "trews" of the young chap on the left ....

Already asking for clues ... names, dates, locations ?

A well turned out bunch. No indications as to whether that is home or some other kind of place.

Thanks for posting, I love to scratch my head so much - I'm well progressed on the "Baldy" front.

Holiday snap perhaps ? They are superbly turned out !

Anything on the back of the picture ??

This is my aunties family does it look like England to you? Im not so sure.

This my aunties family, Fathers-brothers wife, aint got a clue where when who. Back at least 3 generations from her. Nothing on the back either.

This my aunties family, Fathers-brothers wife, aint got a clue where when who. Back at least 3 generations from her. Nothing on the back either.

Your Fathers-brother's surname ? (Same as your Father's presumably), Auntie ?????

Audrey Tanner, will have to find out maiden name.

Found another photo with the leading lady behind the bride and groom

another jolly lot

looks like they are on his side???