Scotland Street, Morpeth Street & Wheeldon Lane

yorkshirecath

Hiya

I've been into town today to look round some old ancestral buildings(not that i found much!) and so have a few questions about the places i went, hope someone knows.

These are places where my ancestors, the Wilds, either lived or worked. They were Cutlery manufacturers(mainly pen and pocket knifes).

Firstly Scotland Street. In 1834 Ebenezer and Benjamin Wild were working from 12 Scotland Street. Now i found a 12 Scotland street but it was a chapel and according to the inscribed stone it has been since 1828. Not sure what it was called but it is dedicated to Littlewood? Anyone have any ideas?

Morpeth Street - My uncle used to live at number 82. It is, and looks like it always has been, industrial? Does anyone know if there used to be house there?

Wheeldon lane. It's on Google maps and i found what i thought was this but it wasn't a road as such cause it had concrete bollards blocking the entrance. I was looking for Wheeldon Works which was on there, just off broad lane but it look like something to do with the University and just led me to Solly Street.

Thanks for any info :)

Cath x

Hello Cath,

There has been a Chapel on that site in Scotland Street since 1760 (according to the Sheffield Local Register). In 1790 the Chapel was taken over by the Wesleyan New Connexion faction of the Methodists. In 1828 the Chapel was demolished and a new chapel built.

The building with the name LITTLEWOOD over the door is a hall attached to the chapel rather than the chapel itself. The cost of the hall was donated by William Lewis LITTLEWOOD, a coal merchant. Littlewood was not a Methodist - *not true, he was a Methodist, as his obituary makes clear, and at the same time a churchwarden at St Luke's (he was a churchwarden in the Anglican Parish of St Luke's, Solly Street) but he and and his wife Mary gave money to a number of religious causes and denominations. My interest in them is due to the bells that they donated to St Mary's Walkley. The hall was opened in October 1897. Here is a short extract from a report of that event:

*correction 26 January 2016

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 5 Oct 1897 page 9 column c

OPENING OF THE LITTLEWOOD MEMORIAL HALL. –

Local members of the Methodist New Connexion body

assembled in large numbers at Scotland Street Chapel

yesterday afternoon for the purpose of attending the

services associated with the opening of the hall which

has been built by Mr. W.L.Littlewood. The build-

ing, which was designed by Messrs. Flockton, Gibbs,

and Flockton, has been erected next to the chapel

and makes an admirable corner to Furnace Hill.

There is a large lecture room, a church parlour, a

caretaker’s house, and a cafe, and it is hoped by

means of the latter to place a restraining influence

on the intemperance of the locality.

Hugh

I don't what the numbering is like in the street now, but in the 19th century it appears that no. 12 Scotland Street was some distance from the Chapel. In White's 1879 Directory (online at http://www.historicaldirectories.org) the Chapel is between 56 and 58 Scotland Street. Number 12 is much closer to West Bar Green. Number 14 was a beerhouse called The Union which was apparently already open by 1800.

I found two different addresses in the street for the Wilds' business (in the directories at Sheffield Indexers):

Wild, Benjamin (pearl & stag scale cutter).

ct. 76 Scotland Street; h. top of Bailey Lane, in 1833.

Recorded in: Whites History & Directory of Sheffield - 1833.

Wild, Benjamin & Ebenezer (pear handle and scale cutters).

Residing at 15 Scotland Street, in 1837.

Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham - 1837.

Hugh

Additional

Ebenezer WILD Pen and Pocket Knife Manufacturers Back of Radford Street Pigot's 1828-9

Ebenezer WILD Pearl haft & scale cutter & dealer 26 Broad Lane Pigot's 1841

Ebenezer WILD Pen & pocket knife manufacturer 26 Broad Lane Pigot's 1841

http://www.sheffieldrecordsonline.org.uk/

Arthur Edward WILD Pen & pocket knife manufacturer Wheeldon Lane, Broad Lane Kelly's 1893

William Lewis LITTLEWOOD

Coal Merchant of 16 Canal Wharf, lived at 69 Edward Street in 1893.

Number 14 was a beerhouse called The Union which was apparently already open by 1800.

Hugh

Pubs/beerhouses <Perk>

Union 14 Scotland Street

Known to be open from 1797

Thomas Hunt had the place 1828-1834

1837 John Lee (though now called Crown, 15 Grindle Gate). Lots of Union Pubs were renamed, anyone care to fill in why they were called Union in the first place ? (Gosh, a history question he he )

I was looking for Wheeldon Works which was on there, just off broad lane but it look like something to do with the University and just led me to Solly Street.

Thanks for any info :)

Cath x

Broad Lane from junction with Siddall Street. Henry Innocent & Son Ltd., Cutlery Material Manufacturers (Wheeldon Works)

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=y01267

Guest midaspeak

Wheeldon Works at 239 Solley Street was the home of Southern and Richardson for a period of time

If any one has any more details I would be greatful

Midaspeak