Whiteley Wood

Guest Oswald

Guest Oswald

Does anybody know if there were any anti air defences or decoys in the area?

I also noticed a hexagonal concrete base whilst walking up towards the golf course, tennis courts and bowling greens, in the direction away from Endcliffe Park. Wondered if it could have been a pillbox.

Thanks for any help.

Does anybody know if there were any anti air defences or decoys in the area?

I also noticed a hexagonal concrete base whilst walking up towards the golf course, tennis courts and bowling greens, in the direction away from Endcliffe Park. Wondered if it could have been a pillbox.

Thanks for any help.

There was an anti-aircraft gunsite on the playing fields at High Storrs School, that's all. The concrete base I think was a bench and shelter, (from rain, not bombs!)

There was a decoy site on Houndkirk Rd, the old road from Ringinglow to Fox House. (Oh, and welcome to the Forum!)

Guest Oswald

Ah, thats good. I don't need to worry about that for recording. I couldn't work it out and knew there was something way back up the hill, so thought it might be connected. It was what looked like holes where wooden slots had been that made me doubt it.

If you walk from that concrete base towards Shepherd wheel, there is a circular cut in the hillside. I was wondering if any AA guns or search lights might have been in that area, as it may be connected. I haven't noticed anything similar in the locality so I would like to rule that out as well.

I had an idea that Bayleaf would come up with something,

I'm not sure what part of Endcliffe Woods this came from?

Edit:Sorry got the wrong park, :huh:

Welcome to S.H. Oswald.

I had an idea that Bayleaf would come up with something,

I'm not sure what part of Endcliffe Woods this came from?

Edit:Sorry got the wrong park, :huh:

Welcome to S.H. Oswald.

Assuming I'm in the right place, there's an entrance to Whiteley Woods from Stainton Rd, and a path which cuts diagonally up the hill to the entrance on Bingham Park Rd. The concrete base is next to the path as you come out of the wood. Is that the one Oswald? Can you be any more specific about the location of the circular cut? I noticed you mentioned recording. Are you involved in some project? (Just being nosy, sorry!) There are some 'pits' on High Storrs Roughs near Bents Green Rd which were thought to have been gun pits, but are now known not to have been, although they were almost certainly connected with the gunsite on the playing fields.

The aerial pic is from an RAF sortie in 1948. The gunsite was the disturbed area at the end of the playing fields. The guns were removed in the middle of the war when the threat to Sheffield had diminished and they moved to the AA ring around London. The other pics aren't very clear, being very overgrown. If you go looking for them beware, there are a number of bellpits close by that look similar!

Guest Oswald

Yep. That would be the same concrete base I saw.

I haven't got any more info regarding the pit in the woods, although I will be going back up there next week. I did know that there were AA sites nearby (Bents Green) so while I was up there (looking at a potential Anderson shelter in nearby allotments, next to Shepherd Wheel)) I thought I would poke around the hill side. Does the area have a history of coal mining then? (Bell pits were mentioned)

I am starting out on an undergraduate dissertation regarding the application of archaeology to second world war Sheffield/South Yorkshire. Although excavation is out of the question, I would like to do an earthworks survey and possibly field walking (although thats more to find any hidden associated structures or areas, rather than finds). At the moment the starfish site on Houndkirk Road might be the best candidate, although I have not had the chance to visit yet. I literally started a feasibility study yesterday, and the project proper won't start until later in the year.

If you haven't found it there's a book called AA Command by Colin Dobinson that lists the sites, and one called Sheffield's Golden Frame by Bill Bevan which has info about the Starfish site.

There is a history of coal mining in the 18th and 19th centuries, mostly around Ringinglow then small scale following the seams along the hillside to Greystones. In fact the last mine at High Storrs closed in 1929. There are some reports published by the Friends of the Porter Valley covering archaeology, geology, mining and quarrying and ecology around the valley. They're all available for purchase, but you'll find them in the public and both Uni libraries as well.

The Porter Valley is 'my patch', and if I can be any help, let me know! And good luck with the dissertation!

Guest Oswald

If you haven't found it there's a book called AA Command by Colin Dobinson that lists the sites, and one called Sheffield's Golden Frame by Bill Bevan which has info about the Starfish site.

There is a history of coal mining in the 18th and 19th centuries, mostly around Ringinglow then small scale following the seams along the hillside to Greystones. In fact the last mine at High Storrs closed in 1929. There are some reports published by the Friends of the Porter Valley covering archaeology, geology, mining and quarrying and ecology around the valley. They're all available for purchase, but you'll find them in the public and both Uni libraries as well.

The Porter Valley is 'my patch', and if I can be any help, let me know! And good luck with the dissertation!

Cheers. I will look into those books.

At the moment, all I am writing is 1000 word feasibility study, so I don't need to go mad with detail just yet! Some photos of places where potential field work could be carried out would be great, as it would give more weight to the overall idea for the dissertation, which is what I am trying to find at the moment.

Cheers. I will look into those books.

At the moment, all I am writing is 1000 word feasibility study, so I don't need to go mad with detail just yet! Some photos of places where potential field work could be carried out would be great, as it would give more weight to the overall idea for the dissertation, which is what I am trying to find at the moment.

There's another book by Dobinson called 'Fields of Deception' covering decoy sites. If it's any help this is a list of sites local to Sheffield, from the book.

Decoys for Sheffield (SF3) Type Grid Ref Co-located

a. Conisbrough QL SK503965

b. Kiveton QL SK507838

c. Norton QF/QL SK369804 SF3d

d. Eckington QF/QL SK416799

e. Ulley QF/QL SK472886 SF3f

f. Bramley QF/QL SK504933 SF3e

Q=Decoy QF=small fire decoy QL=Lighting decoy.

Large decoy fires were originally codenamed 'Crashdec'. This was abandoned in favour of 'SF' (Special Fires) which in turn became 'Starfish'.

Starfish sites for Sheffield Type Grid Ref Co-located

a. Curbar SF SK270743

b. Thorp Salvin SF SK521799

c. Ringinglow SF SK278816

d. Norton SF SK369804

e. Bramley SF SK504933

f. Ulley SF SK472886

The original lighting decoy for Sheffield was sited 9 miles to the North-west, but was abandoned unfinished as it was decided it was in the wrong place.

(Sorry, formatting went a bit off during 'copy & paste' but I hope you can work it out!)

You've probably found it, but if not there's a lot of info on the Sheffield During the War forum you might find useful.

Hope this helps

Bayleaf