Pubs N to S - Keepers, Picture-links

Guest tsavo

Shepherd Inn

118 Duke Street

Open 1830 Closed 1910 Span 80

Comments

Earlier

1849 Joseph Morton (Beerhouse, 118 Duke Street, Park, no name given to premises, just Beerhouse)

1871 Thomas Saddler (Beerhouse)

Hi,

New member so please be gentle!

My wife's great great Grandfather (Albert Vickers) is shown as the londlord of the Sheldon Inn, 10 Edmund Street on the 1901 census.

If anyone has any infomation about him or the pub then I'd be interested in hearing from you.

In particular, if anyone has a picture of the pub they can share, that would be fantastic!

Hi,

New member so please be gentle!

My wife's great great Grandfather (Albert Vickers) is shown as the londlord of the Sheldon Inn, 10 Edmund Street on the 1901 census.

If anyone has any infomation about him or the pub then I'd be interested in hearing from you.

In particular, if anyone has a picture of the pub they can share, that would be fantastic!

Welcome to the Site Ron.

Nice first post, I have nothing on The Sheldon, you've hit a pub with no known keepers and provided the answer all in one sentence ... keep up the good work !

Parrot Inn

9 Button Lane/9 Moor Head

Open 1825

Closed 1908

Span 83

Comments 110 South Street in 1822;69 South Street in 1825

Earlier

1825 William Flint

1828 William Flint

1833 William Flint

1834 William Flint (Coalpit Lane)

1837 W Flint (Foot of Coalpit Lane)

1845 Alfred Hukin

1846 Alfred Hukin

1849 Alfred Hukin

1851 Alfred Hukin

1852 Alfred Hukin

1854 Alfred Hukin

1856 John Hunter

1862 Matthew Steel

My ancestor Charles Mosley was landlord of Parrot Inn in 1871 census - by 1881 he was at the Cup In Paternoster Row

My ancestor Charles Mosley was landlord of Parrot Inn in 1871 census - by 1881 he was at the Cup In Paternoster Row

Thanks for the update - more Census/relations information welcome from one and all.

Could the Noah's Ark Four Lane Ends Handsworth be the same as

Norfolk Arms 225 Handsworth Road?

We have Henry Wostenholme at the Noah's Ark in brackets 225 Handsworth Road 1951

Is it the same or is he at the wrong pub because we also have a Henry Wostenholme at

the Norlfolk Arm's 225 Handsworth Road. :huh:

Could the Noah's Ark Four Lane Ends Handsworth be the same as

Norfolk Arms 225 Handsworth Road?

We have Henry Wostenholme at the Noah's Ark in brackets 225 Handsworth Road 1951

Is it the same or is he at the wrong pub because we also have a Henry Wostenholme at

the Norlfolk Arm's 225 Handsworth Road. :huh:

They're different UkeLass.

The Norfolk Arms is still there on Handsworth Road and the Noahs Ark is still there at Four Lane End

Norfolk Arms

Noahs Ark

They're different UkeLass.

The Norfolk Arms is still there on Handsworth Road and the Noahs Ark is still there at Four Lane End

Norfolk Arms

Noahs Ark

Then maybe Henry Wolstenholme is at the wrong pub [ Noah's Ark] it does say 225 Handsworth Road in brackets

which is the same address for the Norfolk Arm's. I wonder what the boss thinks?

Then maybe Henry Wolstenholme is at the wrong pub [ Noah's Ark] it does say 225 Handsworth Road in brackets

which is the same address for the Norfolk Arm's. I wonder what the boss thinks?

The current address for the Noah's Ark is 197, Mansfield Road (which is Four Lane End)

The current address for the Noah's Ark is 197, Mansfield Road (which is Four Lane End)

As I suspected, thanks vox.

So I think we have another two of the same.

Noah's Ark Four Lane Ends and Noah's Ark 197 Mansfield Road ?

Rawson's Arms

85 Tenter Street

Open 1833

Closed 1896

Span 63

Comments

Earlier

1834 James Hayard (12 Tenter Street)

1837 Eli Hoyle (12 Tenter Street)

1845 Charles Wroe

1846 Joseph Roe

1849 Joseph Charles Roe

1851 Joseph Charles Roe

1852 Joseph Charles Wroe

1854 Joseph Charles Wroe

1862 John Oakes

1871 John Shackley

1881 William Sharp

1891 William Thomas Smith

1901 William Smith

Manslaughter 1864

The landlord of the Rawsons Arms, Tenter Street in 1881, according to the Census record, is William Shaw not William Sharp. He was an ancestor of mine.

The landlord of the Rawsons Arms, Tenter Street in 1881, according to the Census record, is William Shaw not William Sharp. He was an ancestor of mine.

We will take any updates Stevehoyland to make the list more accurate, Thank you.

You're quite right stevehoyland , I haven't got up to R yet on my list but I've

just had a quick check and William Shaw was there in 1876 to 95/6 at least.

Has anyone got a clue on this one?

1833 The Peacock , keeper Joseph Hunter

Address , DEEP PIT

Guest binsted71

Has anyone got a clue on this one?

1833 The Peacock , keeper Joseph Hunter

Address , DEEP PIT

History

Manor Fields was part of 'Sheffield Park' from the 1400’s until the 1600s . This was a large hunting estate for the lords of the Manor of Sheffield, with Manor Lodge as its focus. One tree called the Ladies Oak could shelter 200 horsemen and the trunks of some trees were over 5m in diameter.

After the site’s use as a hunting park declined it was divided up into smaller areas for agriculture.

Three mine shafts were sunk in the site during the early 1800’s. Deep Pit, a shaft over 100m down into the 'Parkgate Seam', has lent its name to this area of Sheffield. Recent excavations have revealed a complex of coke ovens that processed the coal into a more efficient fuel for the steel industry.

In the 1930's the Manor housing estate was laid out, with Manor Fields being designated as an allotment site. The allotments were so important to the city that the then Duchess of York (Queen Mother) came to open them in 1936.

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/out--about/parks-woodlands--countryside/parks/a-z-city-district--local--parks/manor-fields-park

History

Manor Fields was part of 'Sheffield Park' from the 1400’s until the 1600s . This was a large hunting estate for the lords of the Manor of Sheffield, with Manor Lodge as its focus. One tree called the Ladies Oak could shelter 200 horsemen and the trunks of some trees were over 5m in diameter.

After the site’s use as a hunting park declined it was divided up into smaller areas for agriculture.

Three mine shafts were sunk in the site during the early 1800’s. Deep Pit, a shaft over 100m down into the 'Parkgate Seam', has lent its name to this area of Sheffield. Recent excavations have revealed a complex of coke ovens that processed the coal into a more efficient fuel for the steel industry.

In the 1930's the Manor housing estate was laid out, with Manor Fields being designated as an allotment site. The allotments were so important to the city that the then Duchess of York (Queen Mother) came to open them in 1936.

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/out--about/parks-woodlands--countryside/parks/a-z-city-district--local--parks/manor-fields-park

Hi Binsted

And thank you, as you are so knowledgeable [ it must be the school you went to ;-) ] here is another one for you.

The Plough 1879, keeper Abraham Walker.

Address, High Low.

Guest binsted71

Hi Binsted

And thank you, as you are so knowledgeable [ it must be the school you went to ;-) ] here is another one for you.

Address, High Low.

Hi Ukelele Lady,

You have me stumped with this one! The only High Low that I know is High Low View at Brinsworth where a friend of mine lived some years ago. Could it relate to the High/Low Bradfield area?

As for the schools, they were so good that they've been demolished.!! (Every schoolboy's secret wish).

Hi Ukelele Lady,

You have me stumped with this one! The only High Low that I know is High Low View at Brinsworth where a friend of mine lived some years ago. Could it relate to the High/Low Bradfield area?

As for the schools, they were so good that they've been demolished.!! (Every schoolboy's secret wish).

It's not Bradfield I've checked that out, although I thought of High and Low Fields , Highfields & Lowfields. <_<

Hi Ukelele Lady,

I knew I'd heard of it somewhere, we've walked past it numerous times.

High Low is near Hathersage. (Now called Highlow)

The Plough is by Leadmill Bridge, at the bottom of the hill which goes up towards Abney

(We've been there a few times to "eat out")

Lysons Topographical and Historical Account, 1817 - Hathersage.

Robert Eyre, eldest son of Robert Eyre, of High-low, ob 1656. ...

Address, High Low.

Abraham Walker, Farmer (36 acres) and Publican, aged 53.

Plough Inn

Civil Parish Highlow

Sub-registration district Tideswell

Registration district Bakewell

(Near Lead Mills)

Wife Elizabeth Walker