Green Wheel Lane, Wisewood, Bradfield?

yorkshirecath

Am delving into my grandparents past and it seems my mum was born whilst they were living at Green Wheel House, Green Wheel Lane, Wisewood, Bradfield.

I can find a Green lane, is this one and the same, does anyone know ?

Have googled with no luck.

Am delving into my grandparents past and it seems my mum was born whilst they were living at Green Wheel House, Green Wheel Lane, Wisewood, Bradfield.

I can find a Green lane, is this one and the same does anyone know?

Have googled with no luck.

Hi Cath, On the 1855 map of the Wisewood area, Green Wheel (waterwheel) is shown as being to the right of the top part of Matlock Lane http://www.old-maps.co.uk/IndexMapPage2.aspx have a look, hope this helps.

Hi Cath

No it's not the one you're looking for. Below is a map showing Green Wheel Works, with the house next to it. Matlock Lane mentioned by Huthwaite and on the map is now Low Matlock Lane I think, so you could Google that and see where it is. What was the name of your Mum's family? The map is from a book on the watermills of Sheffield, and I could check to see if there's any mention.

Bayleaf

Wow thankyou for that Bayleaf. My mums family were called Gower.

I don't think they had much money so do you think it could have been some sort of workhouse?

I've had a look in the book Cath but no mention of Gower, sorry. The names mentioned are the people who leased the works. Perhaps your grandad worked there and the house was a 'tied' cottage?

Well i popped down there yesterday and had a nose around. It wasn't what i expected.On going down the road there is a derelict warehouse type building on the right, anyone know what that is? doesn't appear on your map bayleaf. Its quite visable from Loxley road. I had a snoop around(although i noticed from the signs on the other side that i shouldn't have been in there, ooops!)

Anyway, as you carry on down the lane there is a Fiat mechanics at the bottom but as you veer to the right the house is there on the left. It's a biggish house, stone built, and is quite obviously occupied and they had guard dogs so didn't get too close(although when i got home i noticed that it's a through road so will go back again). i did manage to get some pictures so hope someone can identify them. There appeared to be some column type structures, wonder if these are from the original mill???

Guest peter spooner

green wheel is the house that collins skip hire people live in .this is on low matlock road .I found some old YEB maps on this area & it shows a row of cotages called ,greeen wheel cottages!! if you look in the wall opposate the new barn conversion you can cearly see the remains of the cottages on this site built in to the wall.I presume these where for the grinders that worked green wheel<wheel means a water powered site ie. grinding,forge ,mill,tilt hamer> or at the Glass wheel tilt <now fait motors> .look on the wall & you can see big iron rings set in to it to tether live stock ect . the derelict building at the top of the lane was called Kenyons procision grinding. one of 3 brothers ,one had the low matlock wheel; & one had a forge in the old brick works at the base of studfield quarry on loxley road.now new build houses.

green wheel is the house that collins skip hire people live in .this is on low matlock road .I found some old YEB maps on this area & it shows a row of cotages called ,greeen wheel cottages!! if you look in the wall opposate the new barn conversion you can cearly see the remains of the cottages on this site built in to the wall.I presume these where for the grinders that worked green wheel<wheel means a water powered site ie. grinding,forge ,mill,tilt hamer> or at the Glass wheel tilt <now fait motors> .look on the wall & you can see big iron rings set in to it to tether live stock ect . the derelict building at the top of the lane was called Kenyons procision grinding. one of 3 brothers ,one had the low matlock wheel; & one had a forge in the old brick works at the base of studfield quarry on loxley road.now new build houses.

I use to visit Green Wheel Lane when I was young , my mother use to take me to my relatives who lived in one of the

cottages. We all knew it as Little Matlock. Yes Peter my cousin still lives there, the house being passed down the generations.