more blitz damage pictures

Guest tsavo

Just a selection of blitz damage. A couple of questions. Where were Bentley's Motor showrooms and was the Roberts Bros building the one at Moorhead? The Wicker Arches one illustrates just how close we came to loosing it!

Guest skeets

Just a selection of blitz damage. A couple of questions. Where were Bentley's Motor showrooms and was the Roberts Bros building the one at Moorhead? The Wicker Arches one illustrates just how close we came to loosing it!

Hi tsavo Bentleys showrooms and garage was the first building on the right past the wicker arches going towards Attercliffe. Arthur.P.S.the picture of the damaged building in the Wicker was B ENTLEYS COMMERCIAL VEHICLES showroom a single story building

Guest tsavo

Sorry picture 2 of Bentleys showroom is a bit fuzzy, but it's the best I could do with what I had. If Bentleys was just past the Wicker Arches, the road shown in picture 2 must have disappeared after the war as I don't remember there being one there.

Bentley's showroom (pictured) was at the junction of the Wicker and Andrews Street. I guess the camera man was stood outside the Wicker Picture House at the time. The new Ring road actually now goes straight through where the showroom stood. Roberts Bros was on the Moor.

Guest tsavo

quote name='tsavo' date='Feb 29 2008, 04:36 PM' post='15487']

New pics. Sorry no idea which area they are from.

c3.jpg]

Guest codeyes

I thought that Roberts Bros on the Moor became British Home Stores ( or BHS as is now)?????

"Proper Victorian building techniques, none of yer MDF back then, innit you Silly Old Moo !"

Alf Garnett

Hi tsavo Bentleys showrooms and garage was the first building on the right past the wicker arches going towards Attercliffe. Arthur.P.S.the picture of the damaged building in the Wicker was B ENTLEYS COMMERCIAL VEHICLES showroom a single story building
Yes it was Bentley Brothers commercial showroom, and the building to the side of it was their head office. The reason there are only cars to be seen in the showroom was that when the war started in 1939 all commercial vehicles were requisitioned for the war effort. The chap in the gaberdine rain coat amongst the group facing the camera looks like Mr Harry Bentley.