Sheffields last ale only pub.

GrinderBloke

OK so I know folks on here like a challenge, which was Sheffields last pub to hold an ale only license?

No spirits and no alcopops

OK so I know folks on here like a challenge, which was Sheffields last pub to hold an ale only license?

I won't answer, I'll PM you, let someone else get it.

I won't answer, I'll PM you, let someone else get it.

I remember going into the Nottingham House Pub at Broomhill back in the 1970's and asking for a whiskey only to be told that they didnt serve spirits.

I remember going into the Nottingham House Pub at Broomhill back in the 1970's and asking for a whiskey only to be told that they didnt serve spirits.

I have heard the Nottingham mentioned previously in this regard, it may be the one. However, we are going, I think, along with "conventional wisdom" and we're looking for the place most commentators would regards as "Sheffield's Last Alehouse", again, it's from the 70's. I have the place open as far back as 1871 - not much use to anyone, may serve to confirm you have found GrinderBloke's answer.

The Beer only license was in force until 1990 at this particular Pub !

I'll stick these here and see if he finds them,

1848 Kelly's Dir. Public Houses

1848, like an early birthday present ! Matter of fact, I was running out, resorting to modern Pubs, God Help us, I've no idea what half of it means Trouserlegs and Ferrets and Bar S1, happy to sink into 1848, I'll have to knock up a list of the years I have investigated (mainly posted already, the big one, all the years together is yet to come), anyone finds any other year, I'm more than happy to transcribe/decipher it.

Thanks Muchly

On a steep hill (Surprise !!!!) with the same name as Britain's smallest County. Neil Innes (spelling), comedy, 1970's

On a steep hill (Surprise !!!!) with the same name as Britain's smallest County. Neil Innes (spelling), comedy, 1970's

Where i live right now mate - (the county not the pub!)

Thank you neddy

Thank you very much ,Neddy. Helping me quite a lot into my research into ex pubs still standing.By the way,I have heard that The Sheldon is to be delicensed

similarly to The Blake. To be knocked down and redeveloped?

Guest sotonowl

It would be around 1983/4 when I had the Horse and Jockey on Attercliffe next to Banners when I remember Jack at the Kings Head down the road managed finally to get a spirits licence.

I live in Southampton now and always wonder what happened to my old pub and the area in general.I must be due a trip home soon I think and look around my old haunts.

It would be around 1983/4 when I had the Horse and Jockey on Attercliffe next to Banners when I remember Jack at the Kings Head down the road managed finally to get a spirits licence.

I live in Southampton now and always wonder what happened to my old pub and the area in general.I must be due a trip home soon I think and look around my old haunts.

Welcome sotonowl. Here's your pub - I took this about a week or so ago.

And here's a link to the pubs section (which has a Picture Sheffield link)

Horse & Jockey Attercliffe.

Sorry about that Richard

Hi I would say it is the Forresters on Rutland Rd,

I remember the Landlady one Christmas gave everybody a glass of sherry

and told us to drink it fast because she didn't have a licence for it,

can't remember her name but she used to support the RSPCA.