Patten and Patten Ring

John H

I keep coming across the following trades,  Patten maker and Patten Ring maker made. What were these please

Shoes with very thick wooden soles.  For ladies to keep their dresses out of the thick horse doings and mud when crossing the road.

• Like 2

Strictly a patten goes underneath a shoe to protect and elevate it.  If the shoe simply had a thick wooden sole it would be a clog.

Pattens with patten rings to raise the foot even higher:

Pattens.jpg

Clogs.  Although these are Lancashire clogs (many apologies) Yorkshire clogs are identical.

Red_Lancashire_clogs_(side_view).jpg

• Like 1

Not strictly a patten but my great grandfather ,his son and his son carried on a family tradition……they were all Pattern makers! They worked in Charles Cammels and it’s successors foundries and helped produce a mould for a casting from a wooden pattern…….they made the wooden pattern from a scale drawing. A highly skilled occupation.

from the Sheffield Independent 15th January 1825 :

" To Women in Dirty Weather. - If you should get tired, as very likely you may, of walking in your pattens, you will carry them in your hand ; in which case take care that they are sufficiently dirty, and then you may cause yourself to be respected by holding them out straight before you with all the length of your arm, pretty much in the attitude in which sign painters delight to exhibit red lions - you will thus set clear handsome black prints of a double OO , on the clothes of any rude fellow that obstructs your line of march."

• Like 3

Many thanks for all your replies. I especially like the extract from the Independant 😂