Sheffield Sappers fighting contributions to saving The BEF at Dunkirk, May1940

ManoutotCity

Interested Members and casual readers of this site will, hopefully, forgive me if  I re -raise this subject but I’m personally unaware of any previous reference on the SH site.

Continuing but in fact, recent, research into a family member who as a BEF member was evacuated in  “Operation Dynamo” during May1940 has led me to what I consider are some very interesting facts concerning my now deceased relative and  also other Sheffield men involved the many crucial battles leading up to the perhaps better known Dunkirk evacuation of some allied 300,000 troops in those early months of WW2.

It may not be widely known that several Territorial Army units of the Corps of Royal Engineers (aka “The Sappers” ) were mobilised as part of The  British Expeditionary Force ….particularly soldiers  from Sheffield’s own long -established Volunteer( TA) RE unit….in 1939 carrying the designation 228 Field Company RE …it’s HQ for many years at the imposing Somme Barracks which still occupies most of the plot bounded by Glossop Rd, Gell St, Hanover Way in The City.
(I believe ‘Somme’ is now an empty, though historically/architecturally  ‘protected’ complex…it’s still operational successor unit, 106 Fd Sqn RE having relocated to a purpose -built site on  Greenhill Parkway … almost incredibly now some 30years ago)

Apart from the unit War Diaries ….to my knowledge not readily in the public domain.. I know of no dedicated account outlining the efforts of these particular  Sheffield men ‘at Dunkirk’.

However, in the course of tracing the likely part of my uncle in those historic and Nationally -critical events  I have personally pieced together such information as currently appears to be available in print… to identify those brave ‘part timers’ who undoubtedly helped to, famously, ‘save an Army’.

Whatever other tasks were allotted…228 Fd Coy members were also very probably ‘simply’ fighting as infantry soldiers (always and indeed, still,  a basic training and skill requirement) as the needs arose in those frantic, terrifying  days  but there are also accounts of them carrying out some of  their more Corps-specific roles such as route denial using demolitions …rail and road bridges being critical at various points on the routes back to the coast to both the Allies and Germans alike had to be blown ‘at the right time’ ie when all ‘friendly’ troops had crossed and before pursuing enemy formations  got the chance to use the bridges…ie denying him that tactical assistance. (There appears to be one account  where  Sheffield Sappers actually blew one bridge with German panzer( tanks) already on it…..very edge of the seat, ‘movie’ stuff…particularly for those  Engineers close enough to initiate the charges! ) 

As well as dealing with direct offensive action, the Sappers also faced the ever- present risk of accidents ….handling explosives and initiation systems is hazardous enough without being under the pressure of enemy forces  bearing down on them…which any serving or ex -Sapper will readily recognise! Inevitably there were casualties and I have found records of the following Sheffield men of 228 Coy RE dying in the course of those vital, time and life -saving operations: 

Sapper Albert Crapper (Sheffield )

Lance Sgt  Kenneth France (Sheffield) 

Capt Wilfred Middleton (Sheffield)

Sapper Cyril Morland (of Wombwell)

This short list isn’t comprehensive….there would probably be more ‘local’ fatalities and certain many more wounded men including those from Sheffield but anyone with a deeper interest …maybe with relatives  lost out there in 1940 would be advised to go into the Commonwealth War Graves Commission Web site ( for WW2 and either enter a search for their own relatives or for  general interest in the subject….go straight to the War Cemetery records for Aire Sur La Lys Communal Cemetery where the name men above were buried along with many more. For those unfamiliar with the CWGC site…each cemetery has a Register of those personnel buried there and several views of the relevant parts are available  ‘at the press of a button’ …probably the most useful ‘page’ giving personal details of the casualty including ( usually) their place of origin and details of NoK.

Hope these notes are of interest and maybe even assist someone with connections to that epic race to save ‘our Army’

( POSTSCRIPT My relative was lucky to escape with what remained  of the BEF and get back thanks to the vital services of The RN Abe other less professional but no less courageous mariners arriving in Sheffield with uniform in tatters still carrying his Service Rifle!)

’We will remember Them’

• Like 2