YORKSHIRE ! 'Ay Up' & 'Ow Do'

Heartshome

Where ever you go, and hear talking or you get chatting to someone, you know straight away

if they have Yorkshire in them, by the greeting or expression voiced.

Been places many a time, and heard someone say 'Ay Up! 'ow you doin'? and hearing them talk Yorkshire.

Or 'Ow Do mate'! which is mostly what I've heard expressed by men to greet someone they know.

Still nice to know our regional sayings haven't been wiped out!              Heartshome 💖

• Like 1

Na den Heartshome  On a trip to the Ancient City of Ephesus in 2001, the Turkish Guide showing us around the site said you're from Sheffield in England aren't you.  How do you know that!   You speak English like my Lecturer.  The guide said he spent 2 years at Sheffield University.

• Like 2

A Dutch friend of ours is also reyt fluent in 'Sheffieldish' after spending so much time here over the years. I still find it an amusing to hear his combination of Nederland accent and Yorkshire dialect. hehe

• Like 1

I understand that during WW2 an East Anglian Regiment were fighting their way through the Netherlands and found that they almost understood the natives….apparently, much East Anglian dialect used similar words to the Dutch……a related language of course.

I've head a similar tale from Geordies about one of the Scandinavian languages (IIRC Danish, but I'm not certain).  It's worth recalling that before railways it was easier to get to Bergen or Esbjerg from coastal areas than to get to London.

I had a pal whose step mum was German. He lived in Newcastle and spoke fluent German with a Geordie accent. With a British passport he was driving into Germany from Holland and was questioned about his origin…He spoke German with what they said was the Hamburg accent …..it was similar to Geordie!

Interesting! to hear about the 'other' accents folks!

but! this post is about OUR lovely YORKSHIRE accent!! 😊

SHEFFIELD born and proud of it!!💖HEARTSHOME

Our “lovely “accent is an accent peculiar to Sheffield and NOT Yorkshire as a whole . As a result of wider communications, education and cultural changes it is on the “danger “ list with many of our youngest  now speaking a form of Estuary English!

Can I respectfully point out the heading of this part of the forum is….Chat…..and I was doing just that!🤤

• Thanks 1

There are distinct differences between accents in South Yorkshire. Born in Sheffield, moved a couple of miles up the road to the Borough of Rotherham, to be told by a neighbour, "Yor not frm round ere" Apparantly according to her

"Ye talk diffrent n slower than them as cum from Rovvrm"

My parents moved further away to the outskirts of Barnsley which is a totally different accent and emphises on parts of a word. 

I recall a long visit to Barnsley Hospital and  a need of "summat to ate" popped down to the cafe. Nearing the end of serving time "there weren't much left" selecting a concoction of food proceeded to the till. The young lady was having much difficulty entering in the purchase, after much tutting, she shouted to a colleague. 

"Tintontintin"

A bit bemused at first I worked out she was saying. 

"It isn't on, it isn't in."

And they say we talk funny! 

Researching my family history I found most of my ancestors came to Sheffield from the surrounding counties in the 1840s, Staffordshire, Lincolnshire, Derbyshire, North Yorkshire and Bradfield.

I guess all contributing their local dialect to the mix!

As Sheffields industry expanded so did the need for Labour and many left the countryside to move into “boom town”,and paying jobs. My own male line came from Derbyshire and didn’t move into Sheffield itself until the enclosures of Totley….The “colonist” married an Irish girl  from Co. Monaghan whose father was based in Sheffield barracks and they settled in the Wicker where he worked on the railway and they also took in lodgers.

My father and his siblings still used a few words , phrases and customs learned from their grandmother ..not least being the Wake which was beyond my wife’s comprehension when a family member died.

Language is a living thing and is seldom stable…When I use some slang words which were commonplace ,my grandchildren look at me in a questioning way? 🙄🙄🙄

I know exactly what you mean.  Dad was from Middlesbrough, but grew up in the Potteries, Mum was from Coventry.  I'm Sheffield born, then moved to the Black Country, back to Sheffield, then Middlesbrough, then Whitley Bay, then the Black Country again and now Kent married to an Essex girl (no sniggers, please).  I pronounce words with a slight Black country accent, with Geordie slang, a northern short "a" and occasional second person singular.  Crazy!

My elder son switches between long and short vowels, depending upon whom he is talking to, nearby we have a castle (me) or carstle (his mum).  He is Kent born and bred so sort that one out!  Younger son is solidly southern.

My Mum was very firmly working class ,whose parents came from Lincolnshire. Mum spoke a cross between her parents dialect and the one she learned growing up in Sheffield. Her accent though changed quite noticeably whenever we shopped in Walsh’s….and she put on her “posh” voice!

2 hours ago, Lysanderix said:

My Mum was very firmly working class ,whose parents came from Lincolnshire. Mum spoke a cross between her parents dialect and the one she learned growing up in Sheffield. Her accent though changed quite noticeably whenever we shopped in Walsh’s….and she put on her “posh” voice!

Now that Lysanderix, is another accent, the "Posh Sheffeld" accent. Someone with a broad "Sheffeld" (as my dad pronounced Sheffield) accent trying to sound posh or hide their accent; never quite pull it off. 

My mother (born in Sheffield) parents from Stafford and Carlisle (what a mix) always put on the "posh accent" when going "into town" or talking to someone in "authority" and woe betide if I missed "the" out of a sentence. 

Dad however had no truck with "Lardidah" as he termed it. 

Now that's a thought, where does "Lardidah" come from?

Not sure how you'd spell it. 

Lah di dah or La di da. The former would be the Sheffield posh accent!

A Victorian word imitating the perceived Posh accent.

• Like 1