Dore & Totley Station

southside

As a youngster I lived in Millhouses and can remember being able to walk to the station, catch a local to Sheffield and then the express down to London, then the tube to my uncle's.  Thanks to the mad axeman it would be quicker and easier now to drive.  I can remember seeing the old wooden station building being burnt on the platform, so sad.

Millhouses and Ecclesall Railway Station, Millhouses, c.1968. 

Note poster on the wall giving notice of the station's forthcoming closure.rb00201.jpg.63688b1ba8e2b253dbfcc82acd6f4d53.jpgrb00201

Photographer: Ray Brightman, FRPS AFIAP DPAGB Hon PAGB

From The Ray Brightman exhibition collection.

Millhouses and Ecclesall Railway Station, off Archer Road, Millhouses. This station closed in 1968.rb00371.jpg.3784c9d905d670317a0a28ab7e11e384.jpgrb00371

Photographer:Ray Brightman, FRPS AFIAP DPAGB Hon PAGB

Millhouses and Ecclesall Railway Station by Brian Staniland. 1960. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s38526&pos=70&action=zoom&id=21677

General view of Millhouses, Millhouses and Ecclesall Station and the Station House can be seen to the right. s11651.jpg.03063965add50944d7862a571d9ca2ac.jpgs11651

Millhouses and Ecclesall Railway Station. 1959

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;w02724&pos=96&action=zoom&id=86564

Millhouses and Ecclesall Railway Station. 1954. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;w02637&pos=95&action=zoom&id=86247

Diesel locomotive on the approach to Millhouses and Ecclesall Station from Dore and Totley. 20th September 1972.

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s42749&pos=84&action=zoom&id=83629

The model railway club I used to belong to had the large metal "Millhouses and Ecclesall" station signs as seen on one of the photos. I wonder if they still have them?

The model railway club I used to belong to had the large metal "Millhouses and Ecclesall" station signs as seen on one of the photos. I wonder if they still have them?

Added

Should have watched the video first, that answered my question!

Back in the late 1980s I was a regular commuter from Dore and Totley station into Town…..from memory it took 7 minutes and avoided the daily grind on the road. The station was also used by quite a few who worked in Manchester. One day their train sailed through the station without even slowing down. A regular Manchester passenger, who was. B R manager put on his hazard jacket, marched down to the signal and used the phone. On his return he announced the next train would make an unscheduled stop…..It sailed through as well!

Boy, was he angry and embarrassed!

• Like 1

So the 9 day blockade at Dore has started today, and the signaller at York has put this on the system as Totley Tunnel East and Grindleford signal boxesScreenshot_20240316-132313_Edge.thumb.jpg.8f6bc9c770893727af6ad862c10529c4.jpgl be closed:-

Always a matter of personal taste. Must confess I have seen far worse on my travels!

I'm afraid I'm with Lysanderix on this one.  I assume the brick structures are lifts sine the BBC item mentions accessibility.  An old-fashioned cast iron bridge might be pretty, but is impossible to navigate in a disability scooter or wheelchair.

6 hours ago, MartinR said:

I'm afraid I'm with Lysanderix on this one.  I assume the brick structures are lifts sine the BBC item mentions accessibility.  An old-fashioned cast iron bridge might be pretty, but is impossible to navigate in a disability scooter or wheelchair.

Well Martin , I’m disabled and wheelchair bound and though I agree with your sentiments on that , I still think it’s an eyesore and a blot on the landscape 

I have accessed a few modern ones fitted out for wheelchair users. They really are a blot on the landscape ….with long sloping walkways . Oxygen and a long rest is needed by the time the” assault course “has been completed …and they must be a nightmare if you are rushing to catch a train…but, hey, everyone to their own taste!

51 minutes ago, Lysanderix said:

I have accessed a few modern ones fitted out for wheelchair users. They really are a blot on the landscape ….with long sloping walkways . Oxygen and a long rest is needed by the time the” assault course “has been completed …and they must be a nightmare if you are rushing to catch a train…but, hey, everyone to their own taste!

I suppose when it’s got some muck , wear and tear and graffiti on it it'll  blend in to the landscape a bit better 

At the moment it sticks out like a sore thumb 

In 1977 when I was on an employment scheme with British Rail, they would assign people (including myself) to help disabled people on the train. That was on Midland, of course. I guess they don't really do that these days. I suppose Dore will have some staff members? Back in 1977 it was a pay on train station so had no staff at all.

I've only had experience of the south since I've been disabled.  Provided you let them know in advance when you are travelling, there is always a helpful person with a loading ramp.

Back in the early 2000s my neighbour regularly took his disabled Mother, by train ,from Sheffield to Leeds. Given notice everything worked smoothly…including access by lift to cross the tracks via a goods bridge. He was always happy with the service…not so sure about Leeds though!