Lambing Gown

tozzin

When I was a child I sat with my mother looking out of the window at people passing on the street and more often than not she would spring in to a vocal statement with the phrase " look at her in her lamming gown " looking at the wearer of the gown to me the wearer just seemed to be wearing an over sized coat, now that phrase of my mother's stuck with me all my life, it wasn't till I watched the "Restorer's" on TV where a Settle lambing seat was restored, it had a pull out drawer where vulnerable lambs were placed in a warm environment, then the phrase Lambing Gown resurfaced again, I for a start now knew my mother said lambing and not lamming as I took it to be, I now decided to once and for all to find out what a Lambing Gown really was, result a long oversized piece of clothing worn by shepherds during lambing season, mother was right in her way but she never explained it. That phrase has now disappeared from our historical work related language.

• Like 2

Hi tozzin. Yes, I know what you mean! they looked like the type of button up the front dressing gown without a belt.

These days, they are more waterproof and tie back ones. Sometimes called Dairy or Parlour gowns.

My Mum said they were to hide pregnancy!  Regards H