What does "main" mean in a colliery name ?

JS2021

What does "main" mean in a colliery name ? e.g. Manvers Main

I had always assumed it was when two (or more) collieries were linked underground and the remaining one then became "main", but is that true ?

My wife used to work for the coal board at Queens House in Sheffield dealing with accident claims during the eighties.

Until the miners strike there were 56 collieries in Yorkshire. Only 6 had the word "Main" in the title.

Barnsley, Hickleton, Houghton, Manvers, Markham and Yorkshire ( Doncaster ).

From her recollections she believes these sites had multiple shafts and were linked.

For instance Manvers was linked underground with Wath, Barnburgh and Kilnhurst but all the coal mined in these pits were all raised at Manvers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, winco1960 said:

From her recollections she believes these sites had multiple shafts and were linked.

Yes, I believe it's to do with the fact that the pits are all removing coal from the same seam (layer) of coal.

Coal is found at different levels in the ground. And in different seams. The main seam would be the biggest deposit of coal in a seam. The seams were given names like Parkgate and Silkstone etc.

The use of "Main" dates back as far as the mid 1700's.  The unwritten rule of thumb was that the first colliery in a town would be known as (name of town) Main. Not all colliery owners followed this principle as some preferred to use the name of a wife or daughter such as Isabella or Victoria, while others would use the location with the name of the most important seam.

• Like 1

Referring to Maltby Main F.C. when they were formed about the time WWI all the players worked at Maltby Main.  Other Collieries and Steelworks had their own sports teams and brass bands, some kept the traditional names when the Pit or the Works closed.

They changed the name to Maltby Miners Welfare in 1959 but returned to the original name 1996.

Some 20 or so years ago I remember someone working on a project of the various Collieries in South Yorkshire Records; at that time the project was called "Shafts of Light" The name probably was changed and it's quite possible the cataloguing came under the umbrella of the posts made earlier "nmrs" Northern Mines Research Society. 

I never realised we had so many collieries. I remember once reading that Dore had once had a coal mine with its HO in the Devonshire Pub.  *

I had the cutting framed and placed behind the bar. It caused some amusement  amongst the old villagers for some to think they were drinking in a miners pub…others , mainly newcomers, thought it far from amusing.

* a thin ,shallow seam of readily accessible coal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lysanderix said:

I never realised we had so many collieries. I remember once reading that Dore had once had a coal mine with its HO in the Devonshire Pub.  *

I had the cutting framed and placed behind the bar. It caused some amusement  amongst the old villagers for some to think they were drinking in a miners pub…others , mainly newcomers, thought it far from amusing.

* a thin ,shallow seam of readily accessible coal.

Quite honestly Lysanderix, neither did I until I looked up the "Main Collieries" 

My finding of the Dore Colliery came about whilst I was researching the early days of the NCB….and Dore was listed in an official publication detailing all the coal mining companies, including those which were dormant.

You only have to look at the OS maps of Sheffield in the 1860s to see all the coal mines. Even today, the odd green space on an estate could be the location of an old mine shaft that they couldn't build on. 

But if you went back millions of years, Sheffield would have been a steamy swamp with giant Centipedes and MASSIVE Dragonflies. Which has left us with the coal.  While in other parts it was a sandy beach that has left us with outcrops of sandstone rock. 

Over geological times our piece of a tectonic plate has moved around the globe experiencing all manner of weather patterns and as a result differing depositions of sediments , plant life , etc as it did so….hence the mixed geology of these islands……which puts into question ,in some minds ,the current fear of global climate change due to humankind’s activities.

On 03/12/2023 at 18:59, Edmund said:

The use of "Main" dates back as far as the mid 1700's.  The unwritten rule of thumb was that the first colliery in a town would be known as (name of town) Main. Not all colliery owners followed this principle as some preferred to use the name of a wife or daughter such as Isabella or Victoria, while others would use the location with the name of the most important seam.

It appears that the tradition of naming collieries as "Main" originated in the North East at an early date.  The "Main" seam coal was so attractive that even collieries that did not extract coal from the Main seam began to use the name, and "Main" became synonymous with Mine" :

AnnalsofCoalMining1898.png.e48b365825f5479cbee64f85fbeb7673.png