Whiteley Wood(s)

SteveHB

Hi Steve. Yes! you are right! 

On the old picture postcards, I have found a good few mistakes on the name given to places in our area.

They put Forge Dam, Endcliffe on one.

Another, had a dam in Endcliffe down as Whiteley Woods.  

A view taken  'FROM' Woodcliffe, looking over 'TO' Quiet Lane, said from Quiet Lane looking over to Woodcliffe.

Plus more:-..... I think it is that in a lot of cases, the old photographers didn't really know the area, and what boundary was where.

Also I have found, people made notes of the places they had been photographing, but somehow, put them on the wrong picture.

Regards Heartshome

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Heartshome said:

On the old picture postcards, I have found a good few mistakes on the name given to places in our area.

A view taken  'FROM' Woodcliffe, looking over 'TO' Quiet Lane, said from Quiet Lane looking over to Woodcliffe.

Plus more:-..... I think it is that in a lot of cases, the old photographers didn't really know the area, and what boundary was where.

Also I have found, people made notes of the places they had been photographing, but somehow, put them on the wrong picture.

Regards Heartshome

I quite agree Heartshome, I've come across a professional photographer who labelled the back of his photographs with the name of the Street he was standing in. Absolutely annoying to someone looking at a photograph of a street that isn't there any more. Another photograph labelled, Cambridge Street; yes, his feet were in Cambridge Street but his camera was pointing at the City Hall, Barkers Pool!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Heartshome said:

Regards Heartshome

And it still happens to this day, in spite of all the digital technologies we have

• Thanks 1