Whiteley Wood(s)

SteveHB

48 minutes ago, SteveHB said:

ramble_woods.jpg

The couple dressed in their Sunday best are doing what my Grandad would call Promanading. 

3 hours ago, SteveHB said:

Could be Wire Mill Dam?

W_wood_.jpg

It certainly is!! It was very well known for WINTER SKATING at one time, when we had 'proper winters', and they used it

for MODEL BOATS  as well. Our gang used to fish for FRESH WATER MUSSELS in there, much to the amusement of passers bye.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SteveHB said:

Not convinced that this photograph is Wire Mill Dam?

s10394.jpg

https://www.picturesheffield.com/Ref_Nos10394

Hi Steve. no, me thinks this is the IBBOTSON WHEEL DAM at Porter Glen, Whiteley Woods. The one that runs parallel to

Westwood Road. There used to be the works down the bottom end, and in the early 1900s, Ibbotson ran a Tea Room. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Heartshome said:

Hi Steve. no, me thinks this is the IBBOTSON WHEEL DAM at Porter Glen, Whiteley Woods. The one that runs parallel to

Westwood Road. There used to be the works down the bottom end, and in the early 1900s, Ibbotson ran a Tea Room. 

Circa 1903

C.1903_e.jpg

Another image of Ibbotsons Wheel Dam. 

s10410.jpg.3c0b272e8c6767c98adebad21cf00591.jpg

s10410

Porterglen Boating Dam, former dam belonging to Ibbotson Wheel, 4th Endcliffe Wheel, (also known as Upper Spurgear Wheel)

Postcard postmarked 1907.

For further information see: Water Power on the Sheffield Rivers edited by David Crossley. Ref: 621.21 SQ.

I've contacted Mark Goodwill at Picture Sheffield. 

1 hour ago, Ponytail said:

s10410

Porterglen Boating Dam, former dam belonging to Ibbotson Wheel, 4th Endcliffe Wheel, (also known as Upper Spurgear Wheel)

For further information see: Water Power on the Sheffield Rivers edited by David Crossley. Ref: 621.21 SQ.

So the Spire seen in the background, would be Saint John's Church, on Ranmoor Park Road.

Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 18-26-46 Google Maps.png

2 hours ago, Ponytail said:

s10410.jpg.3c0b272e8c6767c98adebad21cf00591.jpg

s10410

This is a nice Pic of the dam isn't it?. Yes, I emailed Mark too, as soon as I realised the Pic TITLE was wrong.  Thanks H

• Thanks 1

Here are 3 more Postcard Photo's from my own collection:-

Although quite a few images of this are around, I got this one, as it says CHRISTMAS GREETINGS, it was posted 22-12-1907

but clearly, it is a summertime photo. Also note the house on the left behind the bushes! This was the Managers house to the works.

100_4368.thumb.JPG.9be7484d08dd0a8f7c8c45ee7379db9c.JPG

This one was not posted so no date, but it's positively early 1900s, as the wall along the edge of where cars park now going along the drive

round to the Forge Dam, is still there.

100_4372.thumb.JPG.bed1a080d0c281de73f5d1513b48cd26.JPG

This one also has no date, but is positively before 1924, as there is NO lower stone garden wall of Beech Dene, on the right edge, just soil.

100_4374.thumb.JPG.5ca974be8bf851600b8961379293ba1f.JPG 

• Like 1

Like Heartshome I fished for mussels at Wire Mill Dam (though always putting them back, usually at speed, in the direction of the ducks).  Aged about 10 my Dad used to take me and my inflatable dinghy there, and I would row up and down.  I used to imagine that I could see lots of sunken model boats on the bottom, and day-dreamed about using a long pole with a hook to "raise the Titanics".

Thomas Boulsover started construction of the dam and goits in 1761.  Originally it was a saw-mill with two dams.  By 1794 it was a rolling-mill,  with 8 troughs, and employed 8 men.  After Boulsover's death, a Mrs Hutton is named as occupier in the rate books, and after 1800 Hutton & Mitchell operated it.  After 1817 Mitchell Wreaks and Co.  advertised as manufacturers of scythes, saws and edge-tools, though they also had premises in town.  In 1826 there were still two water wheels, comprising four saw troughs with glazers, and six edge-tool troughs with glazers.  On Samuel Mitchell's bankruptcy in 1832 half the works was put up for sale and the advert included a rolling mill, emery mill and circular saw mill as well as troughs.

The Silcocks took over the Hall and works, Phoebe Silcock being Thomas Boulsover's grand-daughter.  The 1841 rate book lists three wheels (probably buildings rather than water wheels) - an Emery wheel, a Saw wheel and a Cutler wheel.  The emery wheel was often unoccupied.  Possibly around 1855 the dam was was converted from two to one, and one wheel dismantled the remaining wheel driving a wire-mill.  The final occupier was Charles Ramsden  who advertised in 1865 as a "manufacturer of all kinds of cast steel wire, for crinoline, ropes, fish hooks, needles &c"

In 1896 the Parks Committee purchased the Dam and adjacent property, as an addition to the existing Endcliffe Woods public park.  The property was in two parts (25 and 16 acres) and cost £6,100.

• Like 2

It’s a part of our city I have to admit that I scarcely know ,and  for years have had a distant memory of a lake and a narrow path.I have often wondered where it was …. from Devon to Cornwall…..and  now I know! Thanks!

11 hours ago, Edmund said:

I used to imagine that I could see lots of sunken model boats on the bottom, and day-dreamed about using a long pole with a hook to "raise the Titanics".

Unless they have dredged it, there's a couple of mine on the bottom from when I did model boats in the '70's

Plan of Whiteley Wood Works and Wire Mill Dam, Porter Brook, Whiteley Wood Road (formerly the works of Thomas Boulsover), c. 1826

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;arc06219&pos=235&action=zoom&id=102554

Plan of the Whiteley Wood Works and other property belonging to Samuel Mitchell and Co., [1826]

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;arc03974&pos=233&action=zoom&id=102552

Upper Forge (Forge Dam), Porter Brook at Ivy Cottage Lane, c. 1826

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;arc06218&pos=234&action=zoom&id=102553