Newhall Road, Newhall Wire Mills

Aaron James Hartley

Hi all,

I am searching for any information on Newhall Wire Mills, if anybody knows anything, would be much appreciated.All I know is my great grandfather had a steelworks on Newhall Road, Attercliffe. I know the area and road but cannot pinpoint it.

thanks in advance  

IMG_5514.jpeg

IMG_5472.jpeg

The illustrated guide to Sheffield and the surrounding district. 1879.

"Messrs. John Hartley and Co., Newhall Wire Mills, manufac-
ture wire for pit and other ropes, umbrellas, and various other pur-
poses. On the next page we give an illustration of their works, which
have been carefully arranged with a view to the requirements of the
business, and are fitted with modern machinery and appliances."

link https://archive.org/details/illustratedguide00tayl

j h & co, _e_pg 246.jpg

Hartley John & Co. wire manufacturers & steel converters,
Newhall Wire Mills, Newhall road; Attercliffe.

Hartley John, wire manufacturer,
Sheffield; house, Green Oak house, Totley.

newhall rd_1879.jpg

White's directory (Sheffield) published: 1879.

John Hartley was employed with Messrs. James Fairbrother who started business in a small water powered wire-drawing mill . A second mill was established by Fairbrother at Dam Flask but it was washed away by the Sheffield flood in 1864. Three years later the business was transferred to the Crown Steel and Wire Works, Attercliffe, Sheffield. In 1874 the Fairbrother business was bought by Arthur Lee and Sons.

In the early 1870's Hartley began business on his own account, and built the Newhall Wire Mills, which were afterwards acquired by Robert Hadfield for the extension of the Hecla works. The works were by the River Don (south side) and to the west of Newhall Road.

In 1886 Hartley moved his operation to Saxon road at Heeley. He died intestate at Sheffield on October 19, 1907 aged 76 at Beech Lodge, Cherry Tree Road. He was buried at Fulwood Church on 22nd October. His estate was valued at £18,815.

HartleySaxonRoad1888.png.ec66a46336db563ff35b36600784b6f8.png

HartleyObituary1907.png.ccd12f6a4cd555b51c955f3e027a1d2d.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Edmund said:

Saxon Road, Heeley

64 Anthony William Ernest, assist
66 Wilkinson Charles, (j) painter
68 Wall William, hawker
68 (back of) Jarvis James, washing machine maker
      Hartley John & Co. wire manfrs
94 Hollingshead William, (j) painter
96 Buckle Joseph, buffer

White's 1901

Sort of related….The Amalgamated Society of Wire Drawers and Kindred Workers was founded in Sheffield in 1840 and was the oldest union representing the workers in that industry. It’s Headquarters were situated in Sheffield  on Campo Lane, where they remained , I believe, until the demise of the Union in 1968.

5 hours ago, Edmund said:

John Hartley was employed with Messrs. James Fairbrother who started business in a small water powered wire-drawing mill . A second mill was established by Fairbrother at Dam Flask but it was washed away by the Sheffield flood in 1864. Three years later the business was transferred to the Crown Steel and Wire Works, Attercliffe, Sheffield. In 1874 the Fairbrother business was bought by Arthur Lee and Sons.

In the early 1870's Hartley began business on his own account, and built the Newhall Wire Mills, which were afterwards acquired by Robert Hadfield for the extension of the Hecla works. The works were by the River Don (south side) and to the west of Newhall Road.

In 1886 Hartley moved his operation to Saxon road at Heeley. He died intestate at Sheffield on October 19, 1907 aged 76 at Beech Lodge, Cherry Tree Road. He was buried at Fulwood Church on 22nd October. His estate was valued at £18,815.

HartleySaxonRoad1888.png.ec66a46336db563ff35b36600784b6f8.png

Wow thank you! I had been searching for weeks but following census’s with multiple marriages, multiple John Hartleys in the Sheffield steel industry, I’d just lost my way. Glad I asked people who know what they’re doing. All ties in with every census I have and with stories of the house at cherry tree, thank you so much for you help.

5 hours ago, SteveHB said:

Saxon Road

Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 12-21-44 Google Maps.png

Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 12-26-14 Google Maps.png

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.360915,-

Great work! Thanks again, like I said kept seeing information on these places, kept overlooking and couldn’t tie the facts, didn’t help being brought up on council estate in heeley right next door and thought surely not two fathers before mine did that well from nothing 😂🤣 thanks again