Low Bradfield - first to be hit by the Great Sheffield Flood!

Sheffield History

Did you know that Low Bradfield was the first populated place to be hit by the Great Sheffield Flood waters?

Children ran for cover to The Plough pub

Take a look at the video for a tour around this place

14 hours ago, History dude said:

I have always thought that you could make a good feature film about the Sheffield Flood.

Yes very much so!

• Like 1

On 20/08/2023 at 16:50, Sheffield History said:

Children ran to the pub for cover? I thought it happened in the middle of the night, therefore wouldn't they be tucked up in bed?

Jay.

On 20/08/2023 at 16:50, Sheffield History said:

Did you know that Low Bradfield was the first populated place to be hit by the Great Sheffield Flood waters?

Children ran for cover to The Plough pub

Take a look at the video for a tour around this place

• Like 1

Did Malcolm Nunn do his Anniversary Walk this year? Over the years I've thoroughly enjoyed walking the route of his "Walk and Talk" unfortunately not able to partake the last few years living out of the area. 

Does Malcolm still do a showing of Laurence Peacock's images and the original talk he used to give? Peacock's glass slides were donated to Sheffield Local Studies some years ago and Malcolm sorted the surviving glass slides, identified them, comparing them to the "Talk" Peacock used to give. The surviving images are available on the Picture Sheffield website along with other images taken at the time. 

https://picturesheffield.com

It's very satisfying to see people are still interested in the story. 

From a personal view I think anybody who is interested in the Sheffield Flood of 1864 should read the original book. It's a complete very detailed account including the aftermath. 

My parents aquired a copy many years ago when they discovered a copy in the loft of a house they moved into. 

It is available as a free download. 

• Like 1