Windy House Lane

antony

I see this roadname from the tram as you come down City Road from Manor Top.

been wondering for a while if anyone knows where the name came from?

Farmhouses were often built at the top of slopes facing into the prevailing wind, as the farmer would open two opposite barn doors and throw the cereal into the air to let the wind separate the wheat from the chaff.

Unlike Stand House Farm which was on the other end of the long lane, Windy House didn't survive the construction of the Manor Estate. The farm was probably built around 1660 to 1700.  Along with the lane which went to Stand House and from there circled back to Manor Lane and the Manor Lodge. Initially the lane would have connected to the Duke of Norfolk's Private path probably just before the 1779 turnpike road (now City Road).  But when that fell out of use it would have been joined up to the Turnpike. Windy House would have been an add on to the lane, which was really a lane to the hunting "stand" where Stand House was built, from the private path. 

On 20/06/2023 at 08:42, Edmund said:

Farmhouses were often built at the top of slopes facing into the prevailing wind, as the farmer would open two opposite barn doors and throw the cereal into the air to let the wind separate the wheat from the chaff.

Known as winnowing .

Not entirely with the core of this thread but for anyone interested in the incidental reference being made to views of Lincoln Cathedral from parts of the City…in fact Sheffield being a naturally ‘hilly’ place that fine structure is visible from several points ( Abe most probably even more than I know of)…particularly from the SW and districts abutting NE Derbyshire/ Derbyshire Dales eg Totley…and most certainly Holmesfield  Parish Church..just in NED.  (I’ve not personally had the opportunity but heard from some in the past that the view of Lincoln is particularly good from the top of the tower of that old building ..though of course, in deference to the main focus of this site, just over the County border).

However, very much within Sheffield bounds,  I can confidently, confirm that in decent conditions, there’s  a good view of Lincoln ..from  the CREST  of the path leading up from the (v busy!) A621 road out of the City to Owler Bar and beyond, to the distinctive cairn of rocks  on Brown Edge (access opposite Moor Edge Farm on the corner of Moorwood Lane) just above the old brickworks. In favourable conditions …such as we have presently, ( though maybe better as the Sun is rising over Lincolnshire  or declining behind the observer towards the Peak) a clear unobstructed view of the Cathedral is available though as I say and stress, when the distant (Eastern) horizon isn’t  affected by haze. (Unless prospective observers have eyesight which is particularly good, a decent pair of binoculars of say 7x or 10 x 50mm/*60mm strength will greatly enhance the view and experience. )
NOTE: that the subject which, at least to my (pretty dodgy) eyes,  ‘helpfully’, always appears ‘on a corner’ ie creating a useful break in the distant Eastern skyline which apart from several power stations, is otherwise pretty uniform apart from that anomaly…which means that the observer IS ‘ON TARGET’! I think the explanation for that curios image is that the Cathedral stands on a hill above the City of Lincoln which is accentuated by an otherwise straight, clear view from a Sheffield observer. I confess that Ive not checked the topography of Lincoln in detail but I’d guess that the majestic building is probably on the edge of a significant contour at that point creating the ‘teetering on the edge’ image!

Anyway, with apologies to the WHL enthusiasts ….just another dimension offered of our own great City …for looking at another, ancient and equally  interesting Capital of these Northern parts.

Good LOOK!

* these moderately large ‘Objective Lens’ sizes will cope better with poor light should anyone going for a shufti suddenly experiences deterioration in conditions