Owlerton Stadium 1968 Photographs

chris1952

I have started to digistise my old 35mm slides and film strips, not many of Sheffield unfortunately, but I thought these might be of interest. A show jumping event at Owlerton stadium in 1968. Not that I had an interest in the event but went with a few from school (just left) to gain a little photography experience. I have just featured those that also have an interesting backdrop. You can see how much smokey industry was around at the time. Noteable are shots of Burdalls and the towers. In one shot you can see the newly built Shirecliffe College, I believe 1968 was it's completion. I went to Shirecliffe College same year after leaving school but it hadn't been quite completed or was not ready for students so we started life at the old City School on Leopold Street. It's likely then that we all moved up there for the September term 1969. There is a shot of a lecture on picturesheffield (Ref Noy03422) taken from the back of the room which I am in.  2nd left by the window.

img064.jpg

img067.jpg

img068.jpg

img070.jpg

img071.jpg

img077.jpg

img079.jpg

img081.jpg

img087.jpg

img090.jpg

• Like 3

There are several Photographs of Showjumping held at Owlerton Stadium during the 1960's and 1980's on Picture Sheffield. They tend to concentrate on the event rather than buildings in the background, yours from an historical perspective shows off the area around better. 

Picture Sheffield No. y03422 Shirecliffe College of Further Education, Drawing Office. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;y03422&pos=25&action=zoom&id=59474

• Like 1