Sheffield Tinsley Rolling Mill Wharf Lane

Kevin Turner

I’m currently researching the Sheffield to Tinsley Canal, when researching lock 10 Wharf Lane and the surrounding industries I found a post on Sheffield History dated January 2017 by Sheffield History member Lysander. 
in that post when writing about Tinsley Rolling Mill a mention was made about a tragic accident involving a lorry. I’ve attempted to find a date for this incident and any other information but to no avail. As I’m a new member I can’t message Lysander and would appreciate any information on this matter. Thank you

46F817F0-FD1F-4642-8E8D-1681E38F0415.jpeg

It is a long time ago ….but I would think it happened in the early/ mid 1960s. The workman who, sadly, was killed was called Len Cherry who, from memory, was a man who had developed some health problems . The company , like many other old Sheffield companies ,was somewhat paternalistic so ,as a result ,was employed on “light duties”….one of which was accompanying lorries to a public weigh-bridge when necessary. It was on one such journey the accident occurred.

I believe the unadopted road had originally been built ,or sponsored ,by the Company of Cutlers in Hallamshire and, our M D , Lt Col.Gilbert Slater Willis OBE, TD, JP ,at the time ,just happened to be Master Cutler!

iI hope this might help with your researches.!

Hi there. I believe it was 

LAURENCE CHERRY - DIED SHEFFIELD 1965 - AGE 69.

Regards Heartshome

12 hours ago, Lysanderix said:

It is a long time ago ….but I would think it happened in the early/ mid 1960s. The workman who, sadly, was killed was called Len Cherry who, from memory, was a man who had developed some health problems . The company , like many other old Sheffield companies ,was somewhat paternalistic so ,as a result ,was employed on “light duties”….one of which was accompanying lorries to a public weigh-bridge when necessary. It was on one such journey the accident occurred.

I believe the unadopted road had originally been built ,or sponsored ,by the Company of Cutlers in Hallamshire and, our M D , Lt Col.Gilbert Slater Willis OBE, TD, JP ,at the time ,just happened to be Master Cutler!

iI hope this might help with your researches.!

Thank you for information much appreciated 

10 hours ago, Heartshome said:

Hi there. I believe it was 

LAURENCE CHERRY - DIED SHEFFIELD 1965 - AGE 69.

Regards Heartshome

Thank you for information much appreciated 

Thanks for that. I spoke with Len ,to say Hello ,nearly every day for years and I do know we employed one or two who were past retirement age but it was a surprise to see how old he was. I believe he was a diabetic and word was he failed to survive the shock of partial immersion in the cold canal water.