“They’ve got the money - you’ve got the vote - vote No!”

makapaka

At the crossroad junction of Carlisle street, Holywell road l, upwell street - there is a boundary wall with the above wording still partly visible.

I remember it being clearly visible in the early to mid 80s when I was a kid living at brightside.

does anyone know what this was referring to? ie what political issue etc? 

or how long it has been there overall?

06174819-2FAF-42C3-A5D7-9AD40D4A7BB7.jpeg

Hi makapaka, only major voting that seemed to have gone on, was in 

1979 - local & general

1980 - 1st May, Sheffield City Council elections - whole of Council up for elections with Attercliffe ward now merged

with Darnall

1983 - general - conservatives won by a landslide victory 

The 1980s were a time when ,in our area ,very many jobs were being lost through the de industrialisation of much of the country’s once all important staple industries. Thousands of lives were changed almost overnight.  Many of us felt betrayed by an uncaring government…..and, incidentally, many of my age still do!

I am a disgruntled 80 year old “lefty”…. with plenty of reasons to be so..” Defacing “a wall is small beer when compared with the wholesale ,callous destruction of industries, communities and peoples hopes and , dare I say, expectations!

That said, I feel the slogan  on the wall points to the first referendum concerning our membership of the EEC in 1975. Incidentally, this “lefty” was in favour of our membership…and still is!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Lysanderix said:

Incidentally, this “lefty” was in favour of our membership…and still is!

...as is this not-so-lefty.

1 hour ago, Lysanderix said:

That said, I feel the slogan  on the wall points to the first referendum concerning our membership of the EEC in 1975. Incidentally, this “lefty” was in favour of our membership…and still is!

Hi thanks for the reply - I wasn’t around in 1975 - how was this statement relevant to that particular issue please?

Many on the left believed that the “Common Market” was a rich man’s club…hence “they have the money” so they wanted OUT…therefore vote “ NO”

Strange ,how years later ,it was many on the right who now wanted OUT.

10 hours ago, Athy said:

Presumably some disgruntled lefty (is there any other kind?) who thought that defacing a wall was a Really Good Idea.

There most certainly are other kinds.

Kinds who enjoy looking into our history and would rather not have single view, right wing politics introduced to this History site.

18 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

There most certainly are other kinds.

Kinds who enjoy looking into our history and would rather not have single view, right wing politics introduced to this History site.

I quite agree, and I hope no one will do that.

If you carefully consider History, be it social, economic, industrial or military then a reasonable conclusion might be that it is the product of politics to a greater or lesser extent.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lysanderix said:

If you carefully consider History, be it social, economic, industrial or military then a reasonable conclusion might be that it is the product of politics to a greater or lesser extent.

It could be a chicken-and-egg thing: has history been shaped by politics, or vice versa? I have no great interest in politics - I coulsd probably name only three of the current Cabinet - but the two are inextricably linked.

26 minutes ago, Lysanderix said:

Correct,  That will be why everything is in such a mess now.

No one is learning from that history.

Conversely there is the argument that technical development (agricultural as well as industrial) is an essential prerequisite for politics.  Those countries which expand in power and prestige most rapidly are usually those that at the time have the most dynamic technical developments.  Top-down state regulation inhibits development and leads to a stale closed politics.  Compare 18th/19th century UK and 19th/20th century USA with Russia (both before and after the revolution) or China from 1945 to 1990.

17 hours ago, Lysanderix said:

Many on the left believed that the “Common Market” was a rich man’s club…hence “they have the money” so they wanted OUT…therefore vote “ NO”

Strange ,how years later ,it was many on the right who now wanted OUT.

That’s great info thankyou.

it was a real blast from the past when I noticed it was still distinguishable on the wall after all these years.

that would mean it’s been there almost 50 years - can’t be many more older examples of graffiti still in the city I would have thought?

Graffiti: The spelling, punctuation and use of apostrophes is pretty good.  It's not in 'text speak', either. That dates it.

I lived near that junction (in Fir Vale) in the mid 1980's. I would have driven or walked past there towards where the road bends and goes under the railway lines along the Don Valley. I feel like I've I seen the graffiti before, but that could be a wishful memory. Now and again there is something on a wall or bridge that evokes an issue, period or a movement (e.g.  "I Love You Will U Marry Me" at Park Hill).

Rather than it being an instruction to vote yes/no in a referendum, I wonder if it's about an upcoming general election. say 1983 or 1987 during a string of successive Conservative governments? I vaguely remember slogans along the lines of "Say 'no' to five more years of Tory rule".  

8 minutes ago, Lysanderix said:

Heartshome summarised the elections held in the early 80s.

I've read the thread. I felt that I have something to add.

The more I think about it ,the less convinced I am that my suggestion that it was about the earlier Referendum is correct.On the other hand ,the vote “No “indicates that it wasn’t an election as it would surely have said to whom you should cast your vote.

it is a puzzle and ,Viner, you did add something to the chat!😉

• Like 1