John M Stanley, Ironfounders & Manufacturer of Stovegrates etc., Midland Works, Savile Street East

Ponytail

10 minutes ago, madannie77 said:

Midland Works, Savile Street, 1858 on Picture Sheffield, just before the Stanley, Bellamy & Co partnership was dissolved.

I note that the location at the bottom of the image is given as Saville Street

Always a bone of contention. Modern day spelling "Savile" so to avoid having 2 different spellings in the keywords it was decided to stick with the modern spelling. Similarly, Barker Pool and Barkers Pool. That's the only explanation I can give. 

Now the question to ask is when did Saville become Savile and why? 

John Stanley was my great grandad so this is so interesting to come across I have been told by family members about him having a business in iron so this must be a match! 

JohnMStanley1866.png.6ca0aa12f669e0762e2faa6057ff218f.png

As the man says, beware of namesakes.  The Whites Directory for 1862 includes another Stanley Brothers, merchants and steel and file manufacturers, Harmer Lane, probably James and Thomas Stanley.

John Stanley retired to Rhyl after his bankruptcy in 1866, though he was still writing and inventing. In 1880 he (unsuccessfully) took the proprietors of the Rhyl Advertiser to court for libel regarding his book "The Missing Link" (re Darwin).  They moved to Camberwell, London where his wife Sarah Ann died in May 1887 and John died (at Guy's Hospital) on 18th November 1892.