Royal Visit to English Steel Corporation Ltd

Ponytail

My Dad worked at ESC. and he maintained  that they installed a special toilet …in case it was needed and that much paint was splashed around the place , including a pile of coal  which received a coat of whitewash.!

56 minutes ago, Lysanderix said:

My Dad worked at ESC. and he maintained  that they installed a special toilet …in case it was needed and that much paint was splashed around the place , including a pile of coal  which received a coat of whitewash.!

Yes, I've heard that tale too. 

While my father was preparing in the South Machine Shop for the Royal Party, mother was taking me to the City General for one of my many childhood accidents. I will never know whether it was a destraction ploy but I can remember being very tearful standing at the kerb edge at the junction of Herries Road and Barnsley Road and mum pulling my arm, "Look the Queen"  

I never saw the car through my tears but a scruffy van. Perhaps I looked the wrong way? 

Did the Royal Car go this way to the River Don Works?

It seems they did come down Herries Road, whether it was the time we were standing there I suppose I'll never know now. 

The Royal Party had a full day of engagements in Sheffield that day as this film reveals. 

https://www.yfanefa.com/record/3927#:~:text=Description-,A film from the Ibberson family collection%2C this film commemorates,and flags being put up.

The Queen: Archive film of Hillsborough visit in 1954 will bring memories to thousands in Sheffield

As Sheffield mourns the death of Queen Elizabeth II, footage of her first visit to the city in 1954 will bring memories for thousands.

By David Kessen

Published 9th Sep 2022. 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/people/the-queen-archive-film-of-hillsborough-visit-in-1954-will-bring-memories-to-thousands-in-sheffield-3837546

The Queen started the day in Barnsley then Rotherham before arriving in Sheffield. 

I was at Hillsborough along with thousands of other Sheffield schoolchildren. My everlasting memory, after the Queen in her Land Rover had passed waving to us all, was thousands of us children chanting “ We want the Queen” ,in the forlorn hope that she would do another circuit.

• Like 1