Carved monogram on building West Street/Carver Lane

Andrew

Above the building (now Broncos) on the corner of West Street and Carver Lane there is a monogram S1B (?). I am sure that it is blinding obvious but ... please enlighten me.

It is the "1" that is throwing me.

Thanks

monogram.jpg

5 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Above the building (now Broncos) on the corner of West Street and Carver Lane there is a monogram S1B (?). I am sure that it is blinding obvious but ... please enlighten me.

It is the "1" that is throwing me.

Thanks

monogram.jpg

Hi Andrew. It was the Sheffield Blind Institute. See this building on

Picture Sheffield - number b00023 - with write-up. Ok Heartshome

10 hours ago, Bildeborg said:

"Sheffield Battalion 1" perhaps?

Regards,

Jay.

Hia, see as above. This building was originally the:- Sheffield Blind Institute.    Ok Heartshome

Many moons ago I used to work in that building when it was rented from Sheffield Blind Institute, though to be honest I never really noticed that monogram

3 hours ago, Skep said:

I suggest this was the Sheffield Bank Building?

Hi Skep. Look on further above write-up!  -  re:- PICTURE SHEFFIELD  b00023

The building was the Sheffield Blind Institute - there is information with the picture of the monogram. 

Ok Heartshome.

The Blind Institution was opened on 17th September 1860, the intention was for it to be a school to teach the blind of all ages skills such as basketwork, brush making, leatherwork etc. as well as the usual school activities. The initiative was due to Miss Harrison of Weston House (now Weston Park museum). The premises were in a court behind Mr. Chatterton's stationery shop at 47 West street, and he fitted up a room for the storing and selling of the goods made at the school.  The court had originally been used by cutlers, but was altered to suit the school's uses, with other rooms containing a loom for weaving mats, and basket making.  In the yard was a vat for steeping willows.  The second floor was for brush making and fancy brush making by females. The top storey was for male brushmaking. Initially 22 people were given a place there.

In 1867 new premises in West street were puchased at a cost of £970. In 1881 the Institution expanded into adjacent premises purchased for £2,250.  The old premises were demolished and new workrooms and a retail shop were built, designed by Flockton & Gibbs, at a cost of £3,600, and opened on 1st January 1882 by Lord Wharncliffe (president of the Institution).

As part of one of the 1905 street widening programs, the Blind Institution, designed by Edmund Winder, had new premises built to the new street line.  The builder was Messrs. Daniel O'Neill & Sons and the cost was £4,610, though offset by compensation for the loss of land from the corporation. The building was officially opened by Samuel Roberts M.P. on 20th April 1906. The photo below shows how far back the new building line was. At that point there were 29 men, 10 women and four learners employed in the workshops, though double that amount could be catered for in the new building, dependant on the market for their goods.

1883824225_SBI1906.png.98e326c6012720cae37948f21334193d.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Edmund said:

The Blind Institution was opened on 17th September 1860, the intention was for it to be a school to teach the blind of all ages skills such as basketwork, brush making, leatherwork etc. as well as the usual school activities. The initiative was due to Miss Harrison of Weston House (now Weston Park museum). The premises were in a court behind Mr. Chatterton's stationery shop at 47 West street, and he fitted up a room for the storing and selling of the goods made at the school.  The court had originally been used by cutlers, but was altered to suit the school's uses, with other rooms containing a loom for weaving mats, and basket making.  In the yard was a vat for steeping willows.  The second floor was for brush making and fancy brush making by females. The top storey was for male brushmaking. Initially 22 people were given a place there.

In 1867 new premises in West street were puchased at a cost of £970. In 1881 the Institution expanded into adjacent premises purchased for £2,250.  The old premises were demolished and new workrooms and a retail shop were built, designed by Flockton & Gibbs, at a cost of £3,600, and opened on 1st January 1882 by Lord Wharncliffe (president of the Institution).

As part of one of the 1905 street widening programs, the Blind Institution, designed by Edmund Winder, had new premises built to the new street line.  The builder was Messrs. Daniel O'Neill & Sons and the cost was £4,610, though offset by compensation for the loss of land from the corporation. The building was officially opened by Samuel Roberts M.P. on 20th April 1906. The photo below shows how far back the new building line was. At that point there were 29 men, 10 women and four learners employed in the workshops, though double that amount could be catered for in the new building, dependant on the market for their goods.

1883824225_SBI1906.png.98e326c6012720cae37948f21334193d.png

Nice one Edmund👍 thank you for the info, most interesting. Regards Heartshome