Toyne Family Tree (Tyne, Tine, Tin) and Toyne Street, Crookes

Jacdaw

Hi Everyone, I'm doing really well with my family tree and want to put some meat on the bones of it (is it ok to put it that way when I'm talking about dead people?😆). For at least the last 200 years the whole of the Toyne back catalogue has resided in the area encased by Crookes, Walkley, Hillsborough, Hillfoot, Neepseed, Silver St Head ...and than back up to Upperthorpe. So, it wouldn't surprise me if Toyne Street in Crookes was named after one of my ancestors. It would be fantastic if I could find out how it got it's name and what (if any) fine, upstanding community act could have warranted having a Street named after them? Does anyone have any information on this, or can point me in the right direction please? Actually, any additional information on the Toyne (Tyne, Tine) family, or any photos, documents, graves etc would be welcome. Hopefully I can reciprocate with any of my 'Family Collection of Odds and Sods', if required😊   

PS Admin Peeps - I thought I might have added my post to the wrong forum, so I've copied it from the Genealogy Forum to this one, in the hope of finding out more about Toyne Street. Hope this is ok?

• Like 1

Hi Jacdaw. This info may be of interest to you.

See = Discovery Nationalarchives.gov.uk  =

= Draft of conveyance from John Unwin of Sheffield  = TOYNE name mentioned                             also on the :-

See = Index to Registers of General Admissions South Yorkshire Lunatic asylum (Later Middlewood Hospital) 1872-1910

= John TOYNE - Admit 28/6/1886 - age 36 Spring Fitter, Sheff - number 2725

date Discharge, death etc:- 5/1/1892   =   Ref No - NHS3/5/1/5

= Martha TOYNE -  Admit 18/3/1897 - age 73 Housewife, Ecclesall workhouse - number 5528

date Discharge, death etc:- 15/8/1898   =   Ref No - NHS3/5/1/11

Ok Heartshome

42 minutes ago, Heartshome said:

Hi Jacdaw. This info may be of interest to you.

See = Discovery Nationalarchives.gov.uk  =

= Draft of conveyance from John Unwin of Sheffield  = TOYNE name mentioned                             also on the :-

See = Index to Registers of General Admissions South Yorkshire Lunatic asylum (Later Middlewood Hospital) 1872-1910

= John TOYNE - Admit 28/6/1886 - age 36 Spring Fitter, Sheff - number 2725

date Discharge, death etc:- 5/1/1892   =   Ref No - NHS3/5/1/5

= Martha TOYNE -  Admit 18/3/1897 - age 73 Housewife, Ecclesall workhouse - number 5528

date Discharge, death etc:- 15/8/1898   =   Ref No - NHS3/5/1/11

Ok Heartshome

I'm sure Jac will be delighted to learn of possible relatives in the loony bin!

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I'm sure Jac will be delighted to learn of possible relatives in the loony bin!

That is not a very nice term to use is is it?

I am well aware that it was a description that was often used at one time, but now those times have changed and lots of unfortunate people are still being admitted into hospitals for mental health problems, just as they were back then.

• Like 2

I'm also doing my family tree, been working on it for several years. a few years ago, I got the death certificate of my great great grandmother, and found she had dementia and was in Middlewood, where she had died. What surprised me most was that the superintendent had organised the certificate, registered the death etc. Luckily, some of her family must have come forward as she was buried along side her husband in the area where she'd grown up.  Regarding calling it a loony bin, yes, it's definitely wrong these days, but some of the things that were said of people with dementia have been awful. Also, don't forget, people were put into places such as Middlewood for what would now be classed as REALLY stupid reasons - for instance, if a woman had a baby without being married, so sad for them and they could eventually become 'institutionalised' and unable to live in the outside world. Sadly, with Martha Toyne as mentioned above, being aged 73, she may be the same situation as my GG grandmother was. 

I hope Jacdaw that you can find out more about your Toyne Street area family. Good luck with it

I think a good line of enquiry regarding the naming of Toyne street would be David Toyne, a wealthy butcher, who lived at Spring House on School lane.  There were quite a number of Toynes who were butchers (mostly at the Shambles) but David seems to have been one of the most successful.  He married Mary Jermyn Parker Jessop in 1827 - she was the daughter of William Jessop, merchant of Western Bank.

1336328712_Toyne1840.png.7ccd4d1ac1b4958064163ee78ea07b28.png

Toyne Street was named after land owner, David Toyne, who owned a house, stable and other buildings plus five closes of land, which were described as "in a high state of cultivation" and "eligible for country residences" when he offered them for sale in 1840.

===================

Here are entries in the Sheffield Directories

1833 Directory
Toyne David butcher, 38, Shambles h. Spring house. Crooks moor
Toyne Mary, grocer and flour dlr. 17, Duke street, Park
Toyne Nathan, butcher, 42, Shambles. ; h. Burngreave, Rock st:
Toyne Thomas, butcher, 47, Shambles; h. 21, Arundel street
==========================================
1852 Directory
Toyne David, 47 Shambles; h 60 St George's square
Toyne Martin David, collector; h 60 St George's square
Toyne Nathan, butcher, 45 Shambles; h Rock street
Toyne and Rhodes, estate agents and collectors, 1 Bank buildings
Toyne Thomas, butcher, 38 Shambles; h 63Arundel street
Toyne and Wilkinson, 1nillinm-s, GO St George's square
Toyne Wm. butcher, 43 Shambles; h Pitsmoor
===================================
1879 Directory
Toyne Elijah, grocer and beer retailer, 125 Grimesthorpe rd
Toyne George, agent for Sheepbridge Coal and Iron Co.(limited); h 59 Clarkegrove road
Toyne John, tailor and draper, 201 Tinsley road
Toyne Mrs Sarah Ann, dressmaker, 6 Cross Chapel street
Toyne Thos. victualler, Freemasons' Arms, 383 Walkley ln
Toyne Walter. Chamberlain, advertising. agent. 355 Shoreham st
=====================================
1901 Directory
Toyne & Co. tailors, 8 George street
Toyne Francis, architect, 6 Caxton road
Toyne Frank, clerk, 110 Randall street
Toyne Mrs. Sarah, 59 Clarkegrove road
Toyne Mrs. Sarah Ann, tobacconist, 37 Chatham st
Toyne Thos. vict. Freemasons' Arms, 383 Walkley la
Toyne Thomas Henry, assistant editor, "Evening Telegraph," 202 Edmund road
Toyne Waiter Ernest L.P.S.A.; L.S.S.A. London. physician & surgeon, Woodbourne, 11 Newman road, Wincobank 
Toyne William Austin,· commercial traveller, 25 Steade rd
======================================
1905 Directory
Toyne ·Frank, clerk, 85 Lancing road
Toyne Hedley, traveller, 27 Boyce street
Toyne Mrs. Sarah Ann, tobacconist, 37 Chatham st
Toyne Thomas Henry, assistant editor, "Evening Telegraph" 202 Edmund road
Toyne Waiter Ernest L.P.S.A., L.S.S.A. London physician Woodbourne, 11 Newman road.,
Toyne Wm. Austin Marshall, com. trav. 25 Steade rd
Toyne William Henry, laundryman, 75 Norton Lees Silver hill road, Meersbrook Bank
======================================
1911 Directory
Toyne Harold, shopkeeper, 46 Leader rd. Hillsboro'
Toyne Mrs. Martha, 8 Withens avenue, Wadsley
Toyne Mrs Mary, householder. 15 Burrowlee rd. Owlerton
Toyne Thomas Henry. Morton, journalist, 46 Osborne rd
Toyne ·Walter Ernest L.S.A. London. physician & surgeon,
Woodbourne, 11 Newman road, Wincobank;& attends daily, 12 to 12.30, 8 Jenkin rd. 
Toyne William Austin Marshall, commercial traveller, 307 Cemetery Road

On 24/09/2022 at 17:35, SteveHB said:

That is not a very nice term to use is is it?

That's the whole point. It was used because it was period-appropriate. During my boyhood in Sheffield, Middlewood was always referred to in that way, and these people and their relatives would almost certainly have thought of it thus.

9 hours ago, Athy said:

That's the whole point. It was used because it was period-appropriate. During my boyhood in Sheffield, Middlewood was always referred to in that way, and these people and their relatives would almost certainly have thought of it thus.

I agree with SteveHB, you may think that is what people would have thought back then, but it doesn't mean you have to refer to it in that way now. It is unkind. There were many reasons why people spent time in there, some through trauma shock.

8 hours ago, Heartshome said:

I agree with SteveHB, you may think that is what people would have thought back then, but it doesn't mean you have to refer to it in that way now. It is unkind. There were many reasons why people spent time in there, some through trauma shock.

Yes, there were: I believe, for example, that illegitimate children were often confined in these institutions, even though they had no mental problems.

I picked up the term as a boy in the usual way in which people learn language: by hearing other people say it, so I was by no means unique.

😃🤩🤗😃🤩🤗😃🤩🤗

Hi Heartshome, Athy, Edmund, tozzin, SteveHB, Stenner, Once again, thank you so much for coming to my assistance, in my quest to complete my family tree. Do bear in mind guys, that I'm only on the Toyne segment. I have barely started the Revill, Johnson and Green sides of the family 😁😁. Methinks I may outstay my welcome 🤔🤔and you may start avoiding me! 🤣🤣

1218163939_ThankyouGIF.gif.0c469c44b3c79a9c149ce49d1e39aade.gif

On 24/09/2022 at 18:30, Stenner said:

I'm also doing my family tree, been working on it for several years. a few years ago, I got the death certificate of my great great grandmother, and found she had dementia and was in Middlewood, where she had died. What surprised me most was that the superintendent had organised the certificate, registered the death etc. Luckily, some of her family must have come forward as she was buried along side her husband in the area where she'd grown up.  Regarding calling it a loony bin, yes, it's definitely wrong these days, but some of the things that were said of people with dementia have been awful. Also, don't forget, people were put into places such as Middlewood for what would now be classed as REALLY stupid reasons - for instance, if a woman had a baby without being married, so sad for them and they could eventually become 'institutionalised' and unable to live in the outside world. Sadly, with Martha Toyne as mentioned above, being aged 73, she may be the same situation as my GG grandmother was. 

I hope Jacdaw that you can find out more about your Toyne Street area family. Good luck with it

Hi Stenner, Thank you for your good wishes for my Family Tree investigations, I'm finding it all absolutely fascinating. I can spend hours and hours on it and not even realise what time it is. That is, until I hear the birds singing and realise I've stayed up all night!🤪🙄🤣. I hope you're enjoying it as much as I do.

You're right about the people who lived in Middlewood Hospital. I had several relatives who worked there and some of the reasons for incarceration would be unthinkable today. In my own lifetime, I had a schoolfriend who's Mum was kept in there all her life because she had post natal depression when she gave birth to my friend. She became so institutionalised that she didn't want to come out. So, so sad.

Good luck with your tree !

On 29/09/2022 at 21:12, Jacdaw said:

😃🤩🤗😃🤩🤗😃🤩🤗

Hi Heartshome, Athy, Edmund, tozzin, SteveHB, Stenner, Once again, thank you so much for coming to my assistance, in my quest to complete my family tree. Do bear in mind guys, that I'm only on the Toyne segment. I have barely started the Revill, Johnson and Green sides of the family 😁😁. Methinks I may outstay my welcome 🤔🤔and you may start avoiding me! 🤣🤣

Hi Jacdaw. I see you mention the family of GREEN. I know there will be an awful lot of people with that name, 

but my friend has a GREEN family in her line, one particular name stands out VICTOR, if it's of interest. Ok Heartshome 

On 29/09/2022 at 21:12, Jacdaw said:

😃🤩🤗😃🤩🤗😃🤩🤗

Jacdaw, I think you need to take a subscription to The British Newspaper Archive...it's £12.99 for a month, or you can access it through Findmypast as I do.

The link below suggests there are over 3000 references to Toyne in the Sheffield newspapers starting in the 1830's. The beauty of it is you often find things that are not mentioned in the usual BMD and census returns.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search/british-newspapers?date_offsetdate=1849-12-31&newspaper=sheffield daily telegraph,sheffield evening telegraph,sheffield independent,sheffield weekly telegraph,sheffield daily news,sheffield iris&lastname=toyne&modifiedfacets=true&exactnames=true&exactkeywords=true

I think you can look at the snapshot, but you need to subscribe to read the article.

Snap 2022-10-07 at 11.10.49.png

A bit of Revill info...almost 9000 instances of Revill in the archive ( not all relevant of course)

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search/british-newspapers?date_offsetdate=1918-12-31&newspaper=sheffield daily telegraph,sheffield evening telegraph,sheffield independent,sheffield weekly telegraph,sheffield daily news,sheffield iris&lastname=revill&modifiedfacets=true&exactnames=true&exactkeywords=true

Snap 2022-10-07 at 12.50.26.png

Snap 2022-10-07 at 12.46.45.png

• Like 1