Stone mason records

Andrea B

Hello I want to find more information about my great great grandfather. The information is quite scant. I have two names for him; Harry Osborne and William Osborne.

My great grandfather was born in 1887 but his father wasnt on his birth certificate but is listed as William, stone mason and deceased on my great grandfather's marriage certificate in 1909. 

On my great grandfather's sister's birth certificate in 1876,  he isn't listed. But on her marriage certificate in 1896(?) He is noted as Harry deceased and I think it says coal dealer or load dealer.

On his wife's workhouse records and death certificate she is noted as the widow of a stone mason called both Harry on one record and William on another.

Therefore, is there any records online noting local stone masons?? The time period is 1870s-1880s. Its very confusing but any help is much appreciated as I'm hoping it will help solve a family mystery! 

Harry/William Osborne is a bit of an enigma. I can't find him on the census forms. He is only refered to on his children's marriage certificates (on his son's in 1909,  he is noted as William Osborne stone mason, deceased; on his daughter's in 1890s, Harry Osborne, coal(?) dealer deceased) and also on his widow, Elizabeth's death certificate as Harry, a stone mason (deceased) and on her workhouse papers he is refered to as both Harry and William. He isn't mentioned on either children's birth certificates in 1876 and 1887 so I'm trying to work out if he really did exist. I'm hoping if there's some kind of directory of local stone masons, it might help me find out one way or another. Thanks 

The 12th March 1876 baptism record (Sheffield parish) for Ellen Osborne (born 31st January 1876) states that her mother Elizabeth Osbourne was a spinster, resident at Bernard Street. This might imply that any details of a father put on Ellen's marriage register were invented to hide her illegitimacy.  The details of such an invented father might be gathered from another family member - such as a maternal grandfather.

Possibly Elizabeth's father was Henry (Harry?) Osborne, an excavator, son of William Osbourne, and resident at Carver street, when he married Irish widow Ann Lynch at Sheffield on 7th August 1848. In 1861 Henry (46 and by then a carter), Ann (50) and Elizabeth (11) were living at Court 12 Rockingham street.  This Elizabeth was born on 22nd June 1849 and baptised at St.Marie's on 26th August 1849.