The original Childrens Hospital building.

Guest tsavo

Believe it or not, this was the building that housed the Children's Hospital (originally the Sheffield Free Hospital for Children) at Brook Hill in 1876, prior to the move to the new building in Western Bank in 1880. The picture is of Brightmore House, No 222-224, Brook Hill. The coat of arms looks about the most impressive feature of the building.

Link to Picture Sheffield: http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s05908&pos=1&action=zoom&id=9259

Guest coffee cup

Wouldn't fancy spending any time in there. Its hard to believe it was a hospital, looks more like the hospital "The Thrift" that was featured in the TV Drama Bramwell.

Nearest I can work out, Brightmore House was on Brightmore Street which was on the town side of the Brook Hill roundabout. Probably the left hand side. Anyone got a street map from around 1880?

Nearest I can work out, Brightmore House was on Brightmore Street which was on the town side of the Brook Hill roundabout. Probably the left hand side. Anyone got a street map from around 1880?

Hi tsavo Sorry cant oblige with 1880 will 1890 do.

Great. Thanks for that. The map puts it just about where the trams go across the roundabout towards Shalesmoor.

Now the question is, what's the coat of arms on the building? It has a Lion on the left, (lying down and looking right) and a unicorn on the right. (looking left) There appears to be the royal coat of arms on the shield. I think there is a harp bottom left. Can anyone else (with younger eyes) see this? It's prominently displayed so must have been important. Any eagle eyes out there?

I have a picture of the complete building (the Picture Sheffield photo only shows a small off-shot part of the building) but the copyright is held by.....Picture Sheffield and I can't use it. Will maybe ask if they can add the full photo to their site.

I'm still intrigued by what appears to be the Royal coat of arms in the shot. These were only normally placed on public buildings, ie. the Courts. Did this building have an earlier life as a public building before 1876? Now there's a question to ponder!

How about the missing second Town Hall.....? Could it....? No, don't be silly, that's not going to happen!

Extract from : http://www.shef.ac.uk/medicine/research/se...th/history.html

The Sheffield Free Hospital for Sick Children was founded in 1876 by Dr William Jackson Cleaver in a rented property, Brightmore House, 222-224 Brook Hill. He was supported by John Dodsley Webster, an architect and surveyor, and by Henry Vickers, a solicitor and former Mayor of Sheffield.

The formal decision to found the hospital was taken on 10 October and the hospital opened on 15 November 1876. There was some opposition to the new hospital. There were already three charitably maintained hospitals in the city - The Royal Infirmary, founded in 1797, The Royal Hospital, 1832, and The Jessop Hospital for Women, founded in 1864.

The economy was depressed and many wondered whether the city could support the new Children's Hospital. At a national level, no less a figure than Florence Nightingale was still advocating that sick children should be placed in adult wards.

Brightmore House soon became inadequate for the growing demands upon the hospital and in 1880 it moved to new accommodation at 267 and 269 Western Bank, changing its name to The Children's Hospital. The further developments of the next hundred years are shown in the table and documented in Up The Hill to Western Bank, a History of the Children's Hospital Sheffield, 1876/1976 by Peter Harvey.

---------------------------------------------------------

Stating the obvious, it's an impressive piece, entirely out of keeping with the grotty building it is displayed in. Would seem very odd to knock a dirty great big hole into a small building, then to block it off with this coat of arms.

The bold in the above extract is mine, "rented" - was it in this state before the rent commenced ? Could they have got the owners permission to half-demolish the place (they were only there for four years...)

John Dodsley Webster, an architect and surveyor, and by Henry Vickers, a solicitor and former Mayor of Sheffield - these sound like the sort of people who had some influence in the town.

Could the coat of Arms have come from some building damaged/demolished in the Flood ?

Is the Pope .... ?

Do bears .... ? etc etc

Extract from : http://www.shef.ac.uk/medicine/research/se...th/history.html

The Sheffield Free Hospital for Sick Children was founded in 1876 by Dr William Jackson Cleaver in a rented property, Brightmore House, 222-224 Brook Hill. He was supported by John Dodsley Webster, an architect and surveyor, and by Henry Vickers, a solicitor and former Mayor of Sheffield.

The formal decision to found the hospital was taken on 10 October and the hospital opened on 15 November 1876. There was some opposition to the new hospital. There were already three charitably maintained hospitals in the city - The Royal Infirmary, founded in 1797, The Royal Hospital, 1832, and The Jessop Hospital for Women, founded in 1864.

The economy was depressed and many wondered whether the city could support the new Children's Hospital. At a national level, no less a figure than Florence Nightingale was still advocating that sick children should be placed in adult wards.

Brightmore House soon became inadequate for the growing demands upon the hospital and in 1880 it moved to new accommodation at 267 and 269 Western Bank, changing its name to The Children's Hospital. The further developments of the next hundred years are shown in the table and documented in Up The Hill to Western Bank, a History of the Children's Hospital Sheffield, 1876/1976 by Peter Harvey.

---------------------------------------------------------

Stating the obvious, it's an impressive piece, entirely out of keeping with the grotty building it is displayed in. Would seem very odd to knock a dirty great big hole into a small building, then to block it off with this coat of arms.

The bold in the above extract is mine, "rented" - was it in this state before the rent commenced ? Could they have got the owners permission to half-demolish the place (they were only there for four years...)

John Dodsley Webster, an architect and surveyor, and by Henry Vickers, a solicitor and former Mayor of Sheffield - these sound like the sort of people who had some influence in the town.

Could the coat of Arms have come from some building damaged/demolished in the Flood ?

Is the Pope .... ?

Do bears .... ? etc etc

Thanks Richard, a bit more meat on the bones of this one. Can fairly confidently locate the building now. X marks the spot. The address is given as Brook Hill and also on Brightmore close, off St Phillips Road.

Having (more or less) ruled out an army connection I'm now considering if the building (or part of it) was used as an agents office for the Duke of Norfolk's Estate. This might explain the over the top coat of arms and was possibly to impress the many tennent's of his lordship when paying their rent.

Can anyone help identify the C of A? It's driving my wife nuts....or is that just me? :wacko::wacko: :wacko:

1881 stuff on this topic

TURTON Frank M 27 M Head Sheffield, York, England Master Surgical & Instrument Maker Childrens Hospital 1 Brightmore Place Sheffield

TURTON Pheobe F 33 M Wife Liverpool, Lancashire, England Master Surgical & Instrument Maker Childrens Hospital 1 Brightmore Place Sheffield

TURTON George E. M 3 Son Sheffd, York, England Master Surgical & Instrument Maker Childrens Hospital 1 Brightmore Place Sheffield

TURTON Frank H. M 1 Son Sheffd, York, England Master Surgical & Instrument Maker Childrens Hospital 1 Brightmore Place Sheffield

TURTON Emma A. F 3 m Daur Sheffd, York, England Master Surgical & Instrument Maker Childrens Hospital 1 Brightmore Place Sheffield

Guest tsavo

Believe it or not, this was the building that housed the Children's Hospital (originally the Sheffield Free Hospital for Children) at Brook Hill in 1876, prior to the move to the new building in Western Bank in 1880. The picture is of Brightmore House, No 222-224, Brook Hill. The coat of arms looks about the most impressive feature of the building.

Link to Picture Sheffield: http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s05908

Think it's about time to bring this back to the top, for newer members. Still trying to find the answer to the mystery of the coat of arms. Any new guesses?

Guest tsavo

Just bringing this to the top of the pile.

Sorry folks but I'm determined to discover why the building has what looks like the royal coat of arms. Maybe this time we'll be lucky. Any newer members have ideas or infomation?

Guest tsavo

Any chance this building turns up on one of your early maps, my favourite belligerent Yorkshireman?

One day both the demise of your GG Grandfather and the origins of the coat of arms will be revealed to us, till then......any new guesses......anyone....anywhere?

For comparison

Queen Mary's room in the Turret Lodge at Sheffield Manor House, Manor Park. The Shrewsburys Coat of Arms are carved over the fireplace

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;y01642&pos=1&action=zoom&id=48657

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;y01645&pos=1&action=zoom&id=48659

The question now is, where is or was (not in current A to Z) Beech Hill? Thats top right of the picture. Any Ideas?

Sorry, sorry, sorry, should correctly have read the caption on the Picture Sheffield site. Off Duke Street. Still would like to know why such a tatty building had such a grand coat of arms mounted on it.

The Beech Hill that I know is on Norfolk Park Road,

next to the parks bottom enterance,

it was built in 1857.

Photo added to Godfrey Maps

I still think there is a connection with the Duke of Norfolk's Estate and Brightmore House. This report on the "gardens" of Sheffield (allotments) show the Norfolk Estate as renting land all over the city with a specific site off Broad Lane. Still doesn't give a clue to point of that darned coat of arms, but possibly another small link in the chain.

Link: http://www.bahs.org.uk/51n1a5.pdf

"Duke of Norfolk Coat of Arms, in the grounds of Beech Hill, Norfolk Park Road. This piece of stonework later appears in the grounds of the old Gin Stables, Stafford Lane"

This is the full caption for the above PictureSheffield Link

The Gin House Stables appear on the 1903 Godfrey map Sheffield Park, top centre between Stafford Rd and City Road