Alfred Road

Bear2830

Wondered if anyone had any old pictures of Alfred Road, My Great Grandfather Archie Berridge had a Grocer's at No28 & owned No30 before WW1 and then had a yard he delivered coal from up to the early 60's, My Grandparents and Dad lived on Brough Street until the ABC's were demolished then moved to Southey Crescent. The pictures are my great grandad with his truck in the 1920's and with his horse & trap up Rivelin before WW1.

20220312_090813.jpg

20220312_091444.jpg

• Like 1

The only Alfred Road I knew of was in the East End of the City. My parents married in 1938. Dad had found a house on Alfred Road for them to live in but Mum , who was a very down to earth person and certainly no snob…point blank refused to live in a slum area populated with what she described as”villains and rag and bone men. “They didn’t get their own home until 1952.

It was still quite a notorious area in the 50/60s.

Hi Bear. There are some nice ones on PICTURE SHEFFIELD. I have listed the codes for you. 

If you go to their site and type the code numbers in the top right search box, then scroll down to the pictures,

click on them and you get some info as well.

a07098 - s12953 - s12954 - s12955 - s19693 - s25994 - t09506 - u00964 - u09411

There is also a good one on Pinterest, title  Alfred Road, Brightside.  Hope this info is useful for you, ok Heartshome.

22 hours ago, Lysanderix said:

The only Alfred Road I knew of was in the East End of the City. My parents married in 1938. Dad had found a house on Alfred Road for them to live in but Mum , who was a very down to earth person and certainly no snob…point blank refused to live in a slum area populated with what she described as”villains and rag and bone men. “They didn’t get their own home until 1952.

It was still quite a notorious area in the 50/60s.

Hi Lysanderix, It was a notorious area, my Great Grandfather was no angel either from the stories we've had passed on and some more detailed information I've recently received.

2 hours ago, Heartshome said:

Hi Bear. There are some nice ones on PICTURE SHEFFIELD. I have listed the codes for you. 

If you go to their site and type the code numbers in the top right search box, then scroll down to the pictures,

click on them and you get some info as well.

a07098 - s12953 - s12954 - s12955 - s19693 - s25994 - t09506 - u00964 - u09411

There is also a good one on Pinterest, title  Alfred Road, Brightside.  Hope this info is useful for you, ok Heartshome.

Thanks for that Heartshome, I'll certainly have a look at that.