Tell me about this place..

Sheffield History

Guest leksand
3 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

mjimji 162.jpg

Built to plans approved in 1927, accomodating for the widening of Scotland Street and demolition of most of the properties on the southern side. Amusingly described as "a striking example of 19th century pub architecture" in a later Ward's pub directory.

Not wishing to advertise, but I bet there's a wealth of information in the pub section. You know I think I remember picking up a few gems regarding that very establishment from threads there.

It doesn't look as if it's been doing much business lately. When did it close?

E DIT: in 1997 apparently. I found a 2020 article which stated that the building was about to be demolished. Is it still standing.

Apparently Ward's brewery is no more, either. It closed about 1999, though the name has been bought by a company who still market "Ward's Best Bitter".

I first met my wife in a Ward's pub......

I used to have the occasional pint in he pub during the 1980s. It had a busy lunch time trade with a landlord who encouraged office workers.He suffered with a chronic back ache which turned out to be a piece of shrapnel!

• Like 1

Guest leksand
2 hours ago, Athy said:

It doesn't look as if it's been doing much business lately. When did it close?

E DIT: in 1997 apparently. I found a 2020 article which stated that the building was about to be demolished. Is it still standing.

Apparently Ward's brewery is no more, either. It closed about 1999, though the name has been bought by a company who still market "Ward's Best Bitter".

I first met my wife in a Ward's pub......

No, its gone.

Raised last year. Whisper it quietly, but the suggestion is they're building student residences on the site, if you can beleive such a thing.

With regard to Wards, the last I was aware of was that Robinsons of Stockport produce the keg version that is/was about, whilst there is/was a cask version brewed by a seemingly quite well backed Vaux resurection brewery up in the north-east somewhere. The spiel that I remember regarding their Wards was that they had adapted the recipe to remove the snátch! Personally never visited the Queens, though remember being looked at askance when asking for the sparkler to be removed from the Best tap not far up the road at The Red House. I guess the foreign version of Wards is probably not meant for me.

Guest leksand
8 hours ago, Athy said:

Thosde pictures are heartbreaking.

I wonder how someone git access to the various parts of the building to take them.

qhss.jpg.4bc3ee3e6d90a5ec797fdb6cad314526.jpg

From google maps aerial view it looks like there was a yard of some kind at the back which would be extremely well concealed, given the contour between Scotland St & Solly St. I'd expect that someone intent on accessing what was probably a virtually unmonitored property (and you can wager they checked) could work on gaining entry from there without much jeopardy. I think access to the yard, perhaps gained from Solly St, may have been fairly well concealed too. Seeing some of the projects these groups take on (the Kirkbridge Dyke culvert is a good one!), I'd guess that the Queens Hotel would be considered a bit of a novice's outing.

Perhaps these are the same photos as on facebook, though this may be a bit more user friendly

https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/queens-hotel-sheffield-nov-2016.106116/

So, the photos weren't taken by a journalist or some sort or surveyor?

Amidst the general dilapidation, it looks as if a fireplace surround has been removed - no doubt appearing shortly afterwards in an antique shop or salvage yard.

On 02/02/2022 at 10:33, leksand said:

No, its gone.

Raised last year. Whisper it quietly, but the suggestion is they're building student residences on the site, if you can beleive such a thing.

With regard to Wards, the last I was aware of was that Robinsons of Stockport produce the keg version that is/was about, whilst there is/was a cask version brewed by a seemingly quite well backed Vaux resurection brewery up in the north-east somewhere. The spiel that I remember regarding their Wards was that they had adapted the recipe to remove the snátch! Personally never visited the Queens, though remember being looked at askance when asking for the sparkler to be removed from the Best tap not far up the road at The Red House. I guess the foreign version of Wards is probably not meant for me.

In Wards case, the brewery traditionally shared the yeast ( a common agreement in the industry) with Shipstones Brewery in Nottingham which closed in 1991. The yeast itself had a slight issue in that it produced a phenomenon known as cracked ice in the head....as the foam went down it separated into floating islands and whilst the beer was lovely it didn't appear too appetising to a critical eye. They could easily have got around it by using a product called Foam Head Stabiliser...basically Gum Acacia, being a very traditional company Wards preferred not to use an additive. 

I don't know who made the decision, but after Shipstones closed down, it was decided to stop using the old yeast and use the yeast from Vaux in Sunderland who had been Wards parent company since the early 1970's. At first the change was quite noticeable, the head improved as expected but it did change the flavour and aroma slightly. 

• Like 2