Great job

RichardB

James STUBBS Artificial limb maker with patent feet & hands 379 Shoreham Street Kelly's 1893

lol

Indeed !

Joseph BAMFORTH Zincographer 159 Aizlewood Road White's 1911

Wot's one of them then ?

Sarah GLEADALL Plumbers & Glaziers (and beer machine maker) 18 Fargate Pigot's 1828-1829

I LIKE IT :rolleyes:

Iwant a beer machine he he he he he he

This bloke is full of ...

Herbert GREGORY Manure merchant (Gregory Fertilizers Ltd. ) h. Hartley Brook, Ecclesfield White's 1911

Sarah GLEADALL Plumbers & Glaziers (and beer machine maker) 18 Fargate Pigot's 1828-1829

I LIKE IT :rolleyes:

Iwant a beer machine he he he he he he

Even better lol

William PRIMROSE plumber & glazier, glass bender and beer engine dealer 63 Westbar Green White's 1833

Indeed !

Joseph BAMFORTH Zincographer 159 Aizlewood Road White's 1911

Wot's one of them then ?

Hi RichardB, It's An engraver on zinc. There must be thousands of them working as we type. ( Well lots anyway ).

Hi RichardB, It's An engraver on zinc. There must be thousands of them working as we type. ( Well lots anyway ).

Thanks, it's a great job title lol

William POVEY listed as Truss and cork limb maker 10 Pinfold Street (White's 1852) lol

Richard, talking of limbs. I recall my first (brief) job at the DSS up Manor I was told in the event of not being able to get to mynormal workplace I should report to the nearest Civil Service office which bizarrely was the Artificial Limb Centre at the Northern General Hospital at the end of our road. I didn't last long enough to test that out but it has always stuck in my mind!

Walter ASHTON sheep shear bender 223 Stannington Road, Malin Bridge White's 1911

I hope he bent steel for a living .... lol

On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2007 at 18:01, RichardB said:

James STUBBS Artificial limb maker with patent feet & hands 379 Shoreham Street Kelly's 1893

lol

Have to raise this topic again , sorry.

Just thought you might like a bit more background to James Stubbs ( he just happens to be my wife's great grandfather).

James lost both his legs and part of his left hand in an railway accident in 1884. He was returning from Chesterfield to Staveley but caught the Sheffield train by mistake.

On realising his error  he jumped from the train at Lockoford Junction successfully but was then hit by another train coming in the opposite direction which severed his limbs.

on recovering he developed and produced his own prosthetics and developed it into a successful business in Sheffield.

When you see how far these prosthetics have come and helped people in similar circumstances you have to be proud.