King Edward Queen Alexandra visit to Sheffield - The Armour Plate Archway

Sheffield History

ARCHWAY.jpg

A very imposing looking archway here to signify the visit of King Edward and Queen Alexandra to Sheffield

Tram tracks running along cobbled stones and looks like an industrial area

Anyone know where we are looking at here exactly?

• Like 1
lysandernovo

They visited Sheffield in 1905 to officially open the original University. They also visited a number of local steelworks and I believe the photo is taken on Brightside Land near Hawke St on the occasion of their visit to Vickers Sons and Maxim.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

I'd say that the position of that was not at all obvious from available mapping. The large building, right of picture, was not there at time of survey for the map published in 1905 and it would appear likely that the smaller buildings to right are perhaps just temporary huts related to the further development of the site.

Fortunately the term "Brown's Bridge" helps a lot in that it can point you to a picture taken from the other side of the arch (picture sheffield s03196) which very clearly shows the Norfolk Arms at the intersection of Savile Street East and Princess Street. Whether Brown's Bridge is the river bridge from Attercliffe carrying East Coast Road (which must have been fairly new at the time), either of the nearby rail bridges or something else entirely I don't know.

It would seem, too, that the arch was placed in the middle of the crossroads given that the urinal directly to the east of the intersection is screened from view (again this is clearly evident in picture s03196).

A couple more noticable oddities: the chap at front left appears to be carrying a strange, even-armed cross, and also the rum cove in completely inappropriate attire near to the right-hand foot doesn't appear to have attracted the attention of the authorities. I wonder if the latter could have anything to do with Mr Hovey whose adverts are emblazoned on the arch.

Below is a map of the assumed site (the intersection of Saville Street East, Carwood Road & Princess Street, where Local Fields meets Atlas) with a partial overlay of the section under development in 1905 from a later map showing the area when construction was complete. Probable arch position, camera position and apparent sightlines are also shown.

brownsbridgearch.jpg.22db266a7a9be61b78a0c383ae3dbca4.jpg

I thought there was something familiar about that photo when I first saw it, but couldn't place it. Part of the view is still there!

brbr2.jpg.d5c8bcf84acbb051f6acddf6edbe39a0.jpg

There were a few out 109 years later too. Unfortunately the cameras weren't pointing in the same direction as they passed.brbr3.jpg.d95b491fa8a47fe644d246db2c99f78e.jpg

The arches that day were at the top of Jenkin Road, Sheffield Road just beyond where IKEA now stands and Attercliffe Common outside the Arena carpark.