Does anyone really know...

Guest tsavo

Guest tsavo

..............which is the highest point in Sheffield? I've seen this argued endlessly elsewhere, but have yet to see a definitive answer. Surely someone has an O.S. map that gives the heights? So which is it, Lydgate Lane or the Water Tower at Norton....or somewhere else! :rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes:

..............which is the highest point in Sheffield? I've seen this argued endlessly elsewhere, but have yet to see a definitive answer. Surely someone has an O.S. map that gives the heights? So which is it, Lydgate Lane or the Water Tower at Norton....or somewhere else! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It always depends on what you mean by Sheffield. Within the boundary it's Back Tor on the Derwent watershed, which is on the city and county boundary. (According to the Local Studies Library, (tugs forelock in respect!))

Guest tsavo

Good point, Bayleaf, maybe that's why the question never seems to be answered! I suppose most people would think of the populated areas as 'Sheffield' in this contex.

Guest tsavo

Pass. My GPS is currently engaged in some serious ironing! Plus being 2000 miles away. Someone will know.... he he he he

I once heard that the highest point was up Lydgate Lane where the police put their comunication tower.

Mind, this snippet of information did come from a lady who also swore to me that her next door neighbour regularly pumped gas through the walls to make her sleep so he could sneek into her house to plant listening devices.

So there is a good posibilty that the highest point in the City is somwhere totally different!!!

Guest tsavo

I have a vague memory of hearing that Lydgate top was around 830....now was that feet or yards or metres.......?

Guest tsavo

If you read the small print under the map, you'll see why heating costs are so high in Sheffield. It seems that 30% of the city's housing is above the height at which homes become uneconomical to heat, or have I read that wrong?

Depends on "your" Sheffield, mine's Crookes, cuz it was part of my view of Sheffield History, Norton was in Derbyshire, same applies to the Nailmakers and the Queens Head, Queens Head wins cuz it was part of Sheffield, depends only on your year of starting ....