Crookes Feast

Guest tsavo

Guest tsavo

Traditionally the Crookes Feast was held on the first of May. This photo from Picture Sheffield, looks to be 30s or 40s, judging by the childrens clothing. The only place I can think of to hold this celebration was the Bole Hills. Does anyone have any other information?

I can remember a fairground held on the Bole Hills, (where the childrens playground is - or was?) This would have been in the late 40s or very early 50s and rides were given in exchange for a jam jar. Many mothers found their kilner jars went missing around that time!

Update on the above. My mother has just confirmed the Feast was held around Newent Lane. Presumable between there and Cobden View Rd. Anyone confirm?

From Crookes: The History of a Sheffield Village...

p54

There were two sites where Feasts were held in Crookes, one being on waste land behind the main street, between Newent Lane and Sackville Road. This land was used as allotments during the First World War. The other, known as Huntsman's Feast, was on the site of the upper part of Midfield Road.

p55

During the Second World War, the Feast was held on the Bole Hills.

From Joseph Skelton's Diary (MS in Sheffield Archives):

May the 6th 1846. Thus Ended the Feast with some

of the usual formalities with a little trail Hunt won

by Worral [?] Wonder. Luke Allott and Jonathan Dearden

Exchanged some words when Dearden struck Allott over

The mouth [.] the Large Pig was exibited the Same time

& Slaughtered the 11th May by John Wragg & Cowley

which Weighed 36 stones

Hugh

I'm not familiar with Crookes at all but this might help...

Extract from Crookes : the history of a Sheffield village, Judy Hague 1982

"There were two sites where Feasts were held in Crookes, one being on waste land behind the main street, between Newent Lane and Sackville Road. This land was used as allotments during the First World War. The other, known as Huntsman's Feast, was on the site of the upper part of Midfield Road. In later times, the Feast lasted for about a week, and on the first Sunday, Feast Sunday, there was a special service, which took place among the stalls, roundabouts, etc., with a portable organ.

As well as swings and roundabouts, there were coconut shies and other side-shows, Punch and Judy, and various sports. In the centre of the roundabout, with mechanical horses to ride on, was a musical organ with tiny figures beating time to the music. All sorts of food were on sale - hot peas and pies, baked potatoes, whelks, mussels, cockles, shrimps and brandy snaps. Fortune tellers were very popular. Many remember a boxing booth, where those who fancied their chances could try a round in the ring, and if they survived against the champion they would win some money, probably half-a-crown. Many older people remember the wonderful atmosphere of the Feast ground at night with the napthalene lamps lit on the stalls.

During the Second World War, the Feast was held on the Bole Hills. In 1946, a Feast was held as part of the City's 'Holiday at Home' scheme, when children were given cards of free tickets to ride on the swings, roundabouts and bumper cars. The Sheffield 'Holiday at Home' scheme consisted of special entertainments put on by the City to compensate for the dull war years, when few people could get away for a holiday. The 1944 programme on the Bolehills had an item called 'Salute the Soldier' with a service at 3 p.m., and on Thursday, Friday and Saturday for six weeks in the summer, 'Butlin's Amusements' could be enjoyed. (Billy Butlin started life as a fairground operator.)"

My first house was on Midfield Rd, on the patch that used to be a football pitch belonging to the WMC. Is that the same area where the Huntsmans Feast was held?

My first house was on Midfield Rd, on the patch that used to be a football pitch belonging to the WMC. Is that the same area where the Huntsmans Feast was held?

Must admit Mike, was surprised to get all this info, as this was first posted 18 months ago. Just shows it's worth bringing posts "back to the top of the pile," it gets results.

I think you're right about the Midfield Rd site. It belonged to Crookes WMC when I was living in Crookes. Thanks to Gramps and Hugh for digging the info up. Picture Sheffield has lots of new photo's since I posted the original queery and well worth a revisit for old posts..

Well done to all.