Springfield School

John

Springfield school is situated at the bottom of Broomspring Lane and I did my infant and junior schooling there. As I have lived in Australia since 1962, I dont see these places very often but I did visit the school in 1979 and again in 1999. See if you can guess which is the 1979 photo :)

Guest mummyjac

I used to go to this school and so did my Dad. I left in 1979 to go to Silverdale Comp which I believe has been knocked down. My mum used to be a cleaner at Springfield. I remember Mrs Jackson, Mrs, Kaye, Mr Knowles.

I attended Springfield school from,wait for it!,from 1936 until 1944,which as you can see during WW2,

I do believe it is now protected as a perfect example of a Victorian school building.

I have many happy memories of my schooldays at"Springonions",Miss Keeton was headmistress of the infants,and Mr Kinman of the juniors,and an interesting sideline is a few months ago I was invited to speak to my grandsons class on"What is was like going to school during the war".

There are pictures of Springfield school in all its glory on Picture Sheffield.

On final point, I left school at 14 years old because I failed the 11 plus, the exam was held a few days after I returned school from being in hospital with diptheria, which could be a killer in those days.