Jump to content
andy howarth

Fulwood village 1920s os map

Recommended Posts

Hi. I'm trying to locate an ordnance survey map of Fulwood particularly Whiteley Lane from the 1920's.

Can anyone help please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2000373499_Fulwood1920.jpg.cbd920e1744b91c53bfa1456432e269f.jpg

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you very much Edmund. Can you tell me what year this was published and do you by any chance have the the one after this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first map (25" to a mile) was revised in 1920 published 1922.  The map below (also 25") was revised in 1935 published 1937

338003834_Fulwood1935.thumb.jpg.7a5f2431686360e4da86215aeb08df50.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you again Edmund, you're a star. I understand that the chapel on whiteley lane used to have a graveyard, do you by any chance have a map showing that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a map from 1850, though not clear on the graveyard:

1292966838_Fulwood1850.jpg.e81ac9320f7fb3027b815e530a08fded.jpg

But there is a thread on this site which does refer to the graveyard and has links to pictures which might help you:

Here is a newspaper article from 1899 when it reopened:

671543823_FulwoodChapelreopening1899.thumb.jpg.12206e53810a920780b27281e870ce98.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Andy, may I ask what it is you are interested in finding out, I have been connected with the Chapel since I was a tot, and my Mum was cleaner for over 30years, plus I do a bit of local history study and writings. There are some interesting little booklets written about the Chapel, over many years, if that is your interest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/06/2019 at 23:13, Heartshome said:

Hi Andy, may I ask what it is you are interested in finding out, I have been connected with the Chapel since I was a tot, and my Mum was cleaner for over 30years, plus I do a bit of local history study and writings. There are some interesting little booklets written about the Chapel, over many years, if that is your interest.

I live just up the road from the chapel and was curious to find the whereabouts of the graveyard, as I was very mildly concerned that my property may have been built upon it! I was also trying to find out the exact date my house (No 16) was built. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/06/2019 at 12:20, Edmund said:

Here's a map from 1850, though not clear on the graveyard:

1292966838_Fulwood1850.jpg.e81ac9320f7fb3027b815e530a08fded.jpg

But there is a thread on this site which does refer to the graveyard and has links to pictures which might help you:

Here is a newspaper article from 1899 when it reopened:

671543823_FulwoodChapelreopening1899.thumb.jpg.12206e53810a920780b27281e870ce98.jpg

Thank you once again Edmund. I'd be interested to locate the whereabouts of the graveyard and what happened to its inhabitants. Will have to pop down there and have a chat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Andy. This may be of interest to you, I did a write-up about it a while ago.

In 1929, Sheffield Corporation were widening Whiteley Lane. To aid in this purpose they bought land from the trustees of Fulwood Old Chapel, at the front of the building. As workmen were removing the soil, human remains were unearthed, and on further investigation, it was revealed that the area had once been on old burial ground. ( There are still bodies buried under the Chapel ) The remains of the unknown individuals were honourably re-buried, in the old filled in quarry, which is the top of Forge Dam Park, just opposite the Chapel, through the gates.

Houses on Whiteley Lane were built at varying times from around 1900, as that is when an intense suburban housing project was started in the Fulwood area.

Hope this info is of some help.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a 1929 newspaper report on reinterring bodies, though it differs with the area that they were placed.  The stocks now in the churchyard look to have been originally a few yards up Brooklands Crescent, opposite the houses with the two types of distinctive fronts.

1262698867_FulwoodStocks.jpg.9a9d54a7edafbbc40a7739c353a080f1.jpg

748463861_FulwoodStocks_2.jpg.41660cb681710192596ad764dd85d848.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Edmund. That's a good write up you found, as ever, many reports about a subject, will always have differing info. My info came from villagers, local historian, corporation report, and another write up. As long as the basic points are correct though that's the important thing. 

The STOCKS now in Fulwood Old Chapel garden, were being used as gate posts, when they were discovered. They were removed to be restored, then put in the Chapel garden for safe keeping, till a decision was made as to where they were to go. Luckily, they were never moved. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst we are on the subject of Fulwood village.Are there any photos showing the shops in the 60's & 70's ? The one on Picture Sheffield isn't very good.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/06/2019 at 20:28, Heartshome said:

Hi Andy. This may be of interest to you, I did a write-up about it a while ago.

In 1929, Sheffield Corporation were widening Whiteley Lane. To aid in this purpose they bought land from the trustees of Fulwood Old Chapel, at the front of the building. As workmen were removing the soil, human remains were unearthed, and on further investigation, it was revealed that the area had once been on old burial ground. ( There are still bodies buried under the Chapel ) The remains of the unknown individuals were honourably re-buried, in the old filled in quarry, which is the top of Forge Dam Park, just opposite the Chapel, through the gates.

Houses on Whiteley Lane were built at varying times from around 1900, as that is when an intense suburban housing project was started in the Fulwood area.

Hope this info is of some help.

 

Great information. Many thanks for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/06/2019 at 06:50, Edmund said:

There was a 1929 newspaper report on reinterring bodies, though it differs with the area that they were placed.  The stocks now in the churchyard look to have been originally a few yards up Brooklands Crescent, opposite the houses with the two types of distinctive fronts.

1262698867_FulwoodStocks.jpg.9a9d54a7edafbbc40a7739c353a080f1.jpg

748463861_FulwoodStocks_2.jpg.41660cb681710192596ad764dd85d848.jpg

Thank you again for all this very interesting information. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×