Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Sheffield History

Bakers Hill, The club under the bridge and Pond Street

Recommended Posts

Bakers Hill.jpg

 


Grab a cuppa and have a watch of this video that walks over Park Square, down underneath the bridge where there used to be a pub/club? Past Bakers Hill and the old Post Office building and onto Pond Street.

Some interesting landmarks in this one!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the film, there is a lot on there that I have never seen, the steps (EDIT I now realise it's a ramp) down to Shude Hill seem a good idea.

I am working from memory here so no guarantee but I think the 1909 building may have been the G.P.O. parcels department, I seem to remember the parcel vans coming out of the gate near Bakers Hill.

The Penny Black was built on the site of the old G.P.O. garage building. They pulled the garages down in the mid 60's and built the new sorting offices and the Penny Black was built into the downstairs corner.
The Lyceum pub was a bit further down Pond Hill and the new sorting offices etc. were built round and over it.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was the 'pub/club' underneath the bridge The Barrow Boys, open early for the market workers?

Great video by the way.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peter Walker said:

Was the 'pub/club' underneath the bridge The Barrow Boys, open early for the market workers?

Great video by the way.

Old thread here on the Barrow Boys. The Rag and Tag had long gone so I doubt there would be many early market workers close enough.    ----------    

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the video a question is asked relating to the building on Pond Street built in 1909, it was the then new Royal Mail Sorting Office.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, boginspro said:

Thanks for the film, there is a lot on there that I have never seen, the steps down to Shude Hill seem a good idea.

I am working from memory here so no guarantee but I think the 1909 building may have been the G.P.O. parcels department, I seem to remember the parcel vans coming out of the gate near Bakers Hill.

The Penny Black was built on the site of the old G.P.O. garage building. They pulled the garages down in the mid 60's and built the new sorting offices and the Penny Black was built into the downstairs corner.
The Lyceum pub was a bit further down Pond Hill and the new sorting offices etc. were built round and over it.

The steps lead to Bakers Hill, and subsequently Shude Hill , the name seems to have been forgotten since the supposed improvements were made in the late sixties? Shude Lane exited at the bottom of Commercial Street. Bakers Hill takes it name as it suggests from the town bakery that was here.

First photo Shude Hill c 1900 / second photo Bakers Hill c1890

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tozzin said:

The steps lead to Bakers Hill, and subsequently Shude Hill

Ah, sorry, I was referring to the new exit from Commercial Street to Shude Hill which I have never seen and now realise is a ramp and not steps. I remember well the old steps that join the two parts of Bakers Hill, I used them regularly many years ago.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, boginspro said:

Ah, sorry, I was referring to the new exit from Commercial Street to Shude Hill which I have never seen and now realise is a ramp and not steps. I remember well the old steps that join the two parts of Bakers Hill, I used them regularly many years ago.

What two parts of Bakers Hill do you refer to? I always thought that there was and is just the bit we see now with steps down from the square. I think the steps were installed after the Queens Cutlery Works was demolished to build the General Post Office.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tozzin said:

What two parts of Bakers Hill do you refer to? I always thought that there was and is just the bit we see now with steps down from the square. I think the steps were installed after the Queens Cutlery Works was demolished to build the General Post Office.

Bakers Hill ran from the bottom of Norfolk Street / Esperanto Place where the Elephant pub was, to Shude Hill. When I left Sheffield the south side of Fitzalan Square was still known as Bakers Hill, the G.P.O. address being "General Post Office, Baker's Hill, Fitzalan Square, as the Picture Sheffield image linked to below is labelled.         ----------------    http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;t01149&pos=42&action=zoom&id=31607   

gpo_bakers_hill.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, boginspro said:

Bakers Hill ran from the bottom of Norfolk Street / Esperanto Place where the Elephant pub was, to Shude Hill. When I left Sheffield the south side of Fitzalan Square was still known as Bakers Hill, the G.P.O. address being "General Post Office, Baker's Hill, Fitzalan Square, as the Picture Sheffield image linked to below is labelled.         ----------------    http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;t01149&pos=42&action=zoom&id=31607   

gpo_bakers_hill.jpg

When did you leave Sheffield? as I cannot ever remember Bakers Hill being near the Elephant if it was it prior to the building of the GPO in 1899? and I doubt you are that old. Don't believe the description of the photo, its just not right, I've contacted them on many occasions to put right mistakes on their photos, at the time of your posted photo it was Fitzalan Square. Here's a photo of the bottom of Norfolk Street, Joseph Rodgers cutlery firm at the bottom of Norfolk Street, it stood there until the 1950s

 

 

Joseph Rodgers Norfolk Street.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tozzin said:

When did you leave Sheffield? as I cannot ever remember Bakers Hill being near the Elephant if it was it prior to the building of the GPO in 1899? and I doubt you are that old. Don't believe the description of the photo, its just not right, I've contacted them on many occasions to put right mistakes on their photos, at the time of your posted photo it was Fitzalan Square. Here's a photo of the bottom of Norfolk Street, Joseph Rodgers cutlery firm at the bottom of Norfolk Street, it stood there until the 1950s 

I am surprised that you seem to question whether Bakers hill ever went to the bottom of Norfolk  Street (" if it was it prior to the building of the GPO") it is clearly shown on all the 19th century maps that it did go at least as far at that time, in fact in 1823 it is shown as going as far as Change Alley.

As I said earlier, I am working from memory here so no guarantee. I would think it obvious that I am not old enough to remember it being a through road and I didn't say that I did but what I said was that I remember that side of the square being referred to as Bakers Hill and perhaps the G.P.O. address was still Bakers Hill, Fitzalan Square, so I am not sure that Picture Sheffield got it wrong this time.

bakers_hill_19C.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, no I'm not questioning that it ran right up to Norfolk Street, all I was pointing out it didn't reach Norfolk Street in living memory.  I am aware it ran up as far as change alley, so I think we've been conversing at cross purposes. This shows the Queens Cutlery Works.

Mappin Brothers, Queen's Cutlery Works, corner of Pond Street / Bakers Hill 

 

 1856

 

 

image.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×