Coal men in Sheffield

Thorntons girl

Does anyone know of a Coal dealers in Sheffield around the woodlouse area in the 1960s?

I believe the dealer operated from a yard in Market street.

I would be really interested in any information 

Thanks

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 23:33, Thorntons girl said:

Does anyone know of a Coal dealers in Sheffield around the woodlouse area in the 1960s?

Thanks

I really can't recall a coal merchant having been based on Market Street, in the 1960's, and I was around then.

I remember W. Craig, but I am certain that they were based at 148, Sheffield Road, just above where Woodhouse West End School used to be.

I also remember Wilf Maw, but I think that he came from Ecclesfield way, and also Arthur Dixon, based on Olivers Mount.

Will really have to think about this one, as I don't recall anyone actually having being based on Market Street.

On 2/24/2018 at 23:33, Thorntons girl said:

Thanks

26 Market Street H.& W.T. Maw -coal dealers.

23 hours ago, tozzin said:

Does the name Craig ring a bell? A Coal man of that name delivered on the Manor estate in the fifties. 

He used to deliver to our house on the Manor right up till the 80's when the council fitted gas central heating. I remember wondering if we were going to get coal delivered during the coal strike of 1984. Craig complained about how the council switching people to gas central heating was killing his business. However he was getting very pricey with his coal. 

8 hours ago, neddy said:

26 Market Street H.& W.T. Maw -coal dealers.

Any more information on this company or photographs please?

Thanks for the information, mush appreciated.

4 hours ago, History dude said:

He used to deliver to our house on the Manor right up till the 80's when the council fitted gas central heating. I remember wondering if we were going to get coal delivered during the coal strike of 1984. Craig complained about how the council switching people to gas central heating was killing his business. However he was getting very pricey with his coal. 

I dont remember Craig but I think I have heard of Maw brothers.

I remember the coal man delivering in the late 50's / early 60's around Pitsmoor, Brunswick Road, Nottingham Street Marcus Street, Spital Street, area I think his  yard was on Neville Street, but not sure. In fact I can still remember his face. He was a mate of my dad's, and sometimes my Brother and I would sit in the cab when he went around collecting his money. But for the life of me I can't remember his name and I don't have any photo's of him. I wonder if any one on here can remember his name or has any photo's ?