The White Lion in 1965

Sheffield History

53 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

The White Lion in 1965. Not many cars around and looks like possible another pub on the opposite corner too?

The pub across the road was the Industry.

EDIT - Here I think, but not sure, one day I will find something that is still there.

(C) Google Street View

carbrook_street.png

Not many cars, but the ice cream man appears to be doing good trade. Is that an example of the proudly Yorkshire saloon car the Jowett Javelin on the left, or perhaps a Standard Vanguard?

11 minutes ago, Athy said:

Not many cars, but the ice cream man appears to be doing good trade. Is that an example of the proudly Yorkshire saloon car the Jowett Javelin on the left, or perhaps a Standard Vanguard?

I think I see a split windscreen and curve on top of the side bits of the grill so I think it's a Vanguard. District nurses had them round about this time, powdery blue colour if my memory serves me right.

Used to live at the top end of Carbrook street at  4 court 1 passed there every day to go to school which was Carbrook Church of England.

21 minutes ago, butterill said:

Used to live at the top end of Carbrook street at  4 court 1 passed there every day to go to school which was Carbrook Church of England.

Do you remember a pub in the area that handed out tambourines, castanets and other simple instruments for music / sing along sessions, possibly samba type, in the 60's. Lasses would dance on the tables at times, it was a hell of a night. It was somewhere in that area, possibly on The Common.