New book about the history of Nether Edge

Lizziejampot

I thought that there would be members here who would be interested to know that the Nether Edge Local History Group has been working hard for nearly 2 years to produce a book about their area.  And Hurrah!  - it's due to be published very soon now (in time for Christmas) and will be on sale for £11.95.  For details about the book and how to get hold of a copy, please see the attached flyer.  59f9a850c22f0_bookflyerfinal.jpg.22fc637bc49295247b09f83a3514c78c.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, it's a wonderful image isn't it.  It's one of a series of prints by William Ibbitt of views of Sheffield and neighbourhood.  I can't tell you the exact name of this particular print, but will find out and let you know.  It probably dates back to around 1850, before Nether Edge was developed but after Ecclesall Bierlow Workhouse was built.  I find it very thought provoking to see a rather bald Brincliffe Edge - before the Victorian Plantation.  I guess it was like that for hundreds of years and yet now we treasure the woodland there, have the Friends of B E W and would be outraged if the trees there were threatened.

Well the workhouse is pretty much in the centre of the red box (it's the big building which later became Nether Edge Hospital)

I think the group of buildings in the foreground (under the word 'group' on the spine of the book) is Norton Hammer

I'm unsure about the large house with the chimney - I think it might be Abbeydale House (Barmouth Road) or the next one along

At the top of Brincliffe Edge is I think is Brincliffe Tower

I also think you can see Kenwood House (above and to the right of the workhouse) but not figured out which one it is yet

Here's a rough approximation of the same view

I think the artist's viewpoint was the brow of the hill that was later quarried and where Homebase now stands (so in other words directly over Homebase)

Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 23.13.19.png

The print is by William Ibbitt and is entitled Valley of the Sheaf.  It was done in 1857.  Yes the old Workhouse is very clear and I think that the large house with the chimney is The Edge, owned by the Young family.  It was on Archer Lane and was left vacant when Miss Young died (1902 - ish) and burned down in 1904.  It was more or less where the St Oswald's scout hut is now, but a lot bigger!.  I have a photo of it somewhere, but can't find it at the moment (sorry)

22 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

Is it possible to name any of the buildings in that image. or is it a fictional image?

Some buildings have been named, but it's clear that Ibbitt used artistic licence to portray them.  And ignored others, so it's a bit fanciful, but also informative.

One of my favorite Sheffield Panoramas!   Norton Hammer/Forge with its dam in the foreground,  Abbeydale Road and Abbeydale House with it`s smoking chimney on the opposite side of the dam, The Ecclesall Union Workhouse with its gables over to the right.

Norton Hammer.jpg

Abbeydale House.jpg