Map of Attercliffe 1954

dunsbyowl1867

My uncle used to work for SYCC & City Engineers in the1970/1980s and when I researching my family tree he got hold of this map of Attercliffe for me. This is about a 1/3rd of it, the full map extends from the River Don at Brightside to the canal The scale is 1:1250. I don't know if the Ord.Survey ever produced them this detailed or it was the Council itself, I never asked. Anybody interested in any more let me know and I'll scan more.

Guest tommo

Are Baltic Road and Carbrook Street shown on your map by any chance? If so I'd love to see a scan of them.

Guest Leipzig

My uncle used to work for SYCC & City Engineers in the1970/1980s and when I researching my family tree he got hold of this map of Attercliffe for me. This is about a 1/3rd of it, the full map extends from the River Don at Brightside to the canal The scale is 1:1250. I don't know if the Ord.Survey ever produced them this detailed or it was the Council itself, I never asked. Anybody interested in any more let me know and I'll scan more.

Hi Dunsbyowl

Does your map show the location of Tomlinson Place by any chance? I have found it listed off Bright Street in Whites Directory of Sheffield 1919-20 - under the section: Smaller Streets and Lanes.

Hi Dunsbyowl

Does your map show the location of Tomlinson Place by any chance? I have found it listed off Bright Street in Whites Directory of Sheffield 1919-20 - under the section: Smaller Streets and Lanes.

Sounds like you have interest Dunsbyowl, time to post the lot please lol

Many Thanks

Very good PLEASE do more of Attercliffe and if possible Pitsmoor showing Gray st

Sorry Syrup doesn't extend that far.

Are Baltic Road and Carbrook Street shown on your map by any chance? If so I'd love to see a scan of them.

Part of Carbrook Street is on here - If it doesn't appear o one scan I'll do one of just Carbrook Street for you.

Hi Dunsbyowl

Yes right in the middle of the mass of housing off Bright Street! lol

Sounds like you have interest Dunsbyowl, time to post the lot please lol

Many Thanks

Here you go - sorry I've had to scan it in 6 pieces - if anyone wants a different alignment let me know - sorry it wasn't very easy so they are a bit wonky!

I was wondering about Mons Street - I take it wasn't always called that- was it renamed after WW1 - I remember reading about it somewhere. Anyone know what it was called before?

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_06_2007/post-513-1182237724.jpghttp://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_06_2007/post-513-1182237760.jpghttp://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_06_2007/post-513-1182237796.jpg

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_06_2007/post-513-1182237744.jpghttp://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_06_2007/post-513-1182238655.jpghttp://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_06_2007/post-513-1182237813.jpg

Guest tommo

Part of Carbrook Street is on here - If it doesn't appear o one scan I'll do one of just Carbrook Street for you.

I would love to see a scan of Carbrook Street - thank you very much for your kind offer. :)

Guest mega_monty

I don't know if the Ord.Survey ever produced them this detailed or it was the Council itself, I never asked.

I'm sure these maps were produced by the Ordnance Survey they are similar to the ones you get attached to title deeds from the Land Registry

Guest Touche

Hi, does any of your brilliant map show the corner of Attercliffe Common with Greenland Road, Melville Road in particular? Many thanks

As a newbie to this site I've just come across these old maps. Brilliant - my mum used to live on Short Street and go to Carbrook School. I've not been able to find out exactly where the street was in relation to all the new building that's gone on around there. This is a tremendous find and one that will start her reminiscing again when I show it to her. She's 85 and was born in that area so we always get some stories of what it was like, on the odd occasions when we take her to Meadowhall. I keep telling her she should write a book about it all.

Nice map, great detail :rolleyes:

If this is a 1954 map of Attercliffe how does it fit in with the OS maps of the 1950's which we have pinned in the maps section?

It looks very similar to our existing maps and we already have good coverage of the Attercliffe area.

If this is a 1954 map of Attercliffe how does it fit in with the OS maps of the 1950's which we have pinned in the maps section?

It looks very similar to our existing maps and we already have good coverage of the Attercliffe area.

Thanks Dave - I posted that about long before Richard bought his map collection ;-)

hi dunsbyowl

could you put the next one up from map 5 towards broughton lane?

i lived at newton terrace over the wall from st barts church the side of clifton st

but the map just falls short of it.

thank you. great detailed maps.

hi dunsbyowl

could you put the next one up from map 5 towards broughton lane?

i lived at newton terrace over the wall from st barts church the side of clifton st

but the map just falls short of it.

thank you. great detailed maps.

Hi beemerchez,

not sure if Dunsbyowl can cover that area?

But we do happen to have Newton Terrace on map#179 in the maps list.

Hi beemerchez,

not sure if Dunsbyowl can cover that area?

But we do happen to have Newton Terrace on map#179 in the maps list.

Spot on Steve that's all I had! :(

Thanks Steve brilliant....... lol

i lived at no 1 from 1955-about 1969 when they was demolished.

but we can't find any archives pic's ect....about it.

i think O'H thinks it never existed..lol

happy days there.at the side of the church and one at the back.lol