Jump to content
Organgrinder

Station Hotel Wicker

Recommended Posts

I recently came across an excerpt from a Book by Vin Malone entitled Dus Tha Fancy a Pint.

I'm sure that Vin frequents this Forum but can't remember his pen name to direct this post to him.

In his book, Vin wondered why the Station Hotel in the Wicker, got it's name, when it opened 10 years before Victoria Station.

It's a common assumption that the pub was named after the Victoria Station which it stands beside (or almost underneath) but I believe that it was named so because it was 20 metres or so across the road from the old Wicker Goods Station, Saville Street  - The Wicker Station being the only main station in the city centre at that time, until the opening of the Victoria Station and was originally a passenger station as well as accepting goods traffic.

The Wicker station was part of the L.M.S. Railway holdings and so probably carried passenger traffic until the opening of the Midland station (also L.M.S.)

The Victoria Station was part of the L.N.E.R. Railway holdings which plied mainly different routes from the L.M.S

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Oldbloke    2

 Wicker Station opened in 1838 by the Sheffield & Rotherham Railway at the end of a branch line from Rotherham, as the North Midland Railway bypassed Sheffield. 

Before the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway opened Victoria Station and the Wicker arches in 1851 the terminus was Bridgehouses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's correct but I'm really discussing the Station Hotel rather than Wicker station and pointing out that, at the time the Station Hotel opened, Wicker Station was the only station in the city centre and the pub was obviously named after the Wicker Station and not, as many think, Victoria Station.

Oddly enough, I once worked at the Wicker Goods Station and also later worked at the Station Hotel so their history interests me although, at the time, I never gave the history of either any thought at all. Amazing how nostalgia kicks in later after originally thinking they would always be there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Oldbloke    2

I used  to drink in the Station Hotel too, a long time ago I used to get a lift that far from work. My youngest son worked at the Victoria Hotel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Oldbloke, I played the organ there 1977-1978 - maybe our paths crossed and what a co-incidence - my son works at the Victoria Hotel now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
alf1956    0

Hello there

I realise that this is an old post but hopefully someone will help me with my question?

I used to drink in the Station Hotel in the early 1970's & I know it had a full size snooker table in there but there is some debate as to where the snooker room was situated, I thought it was through a door that took you towards the rear of the pub as I seem to remember that the front of the pub had alcove kind of areas where the front windows were. Any ideas will be great  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SteveHB    9
On 09/04/2016 at 9:24 AM, alf1956 said:

Hello there

I realise that this is an old post but hopefully someone will help me with my question?

I used to drink in the Station Hotel in the early 1970's & I know it had a full size snooker table in there but there is some debate as to where the snooker room was situated, I thought it was through a door that took you towards the rear of the pub as I seem to remember that the front of the pub had alcove kind of areas where the front windows were. Any ideas will be great  

As I remember the snooker room backed on to the car park, I think this was the window in the snooker room (on the R/H side of image), seen here from Wicker Lane.snook_room.thumb.jpg.8c11e73eb0c4457844b

https://goo.gl/maps/swZeXUdADiK2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may well have a picture somewhere of the silver jubilee day party outside the front of the pub 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/02/2016 at 15:31, Organgrinder said:

Hi Oldbloke, I played the organ there 1977-1978 - maybe our paths crossed and what a co-incidence - my son works at the Victoria Hotel now

My parents had the station from 76 to 82

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/04/2016 at 21:11, SteveHB said:

As I remember the snooker room backed on to the car park, I think this was the window in the snooker room (on the R/H side of image), seen here from Wicker Lane.snook_room.thumb.jpg.8c11e73eb0c4457844b

https://goo.gl/maps/swZeXUdADiK2

That bay window was the snooker room I made my first 50 break on it at 14 in 1977 the snooker table was taken out around 1979 and turned into a big lounge with live music can't remember the organist name although I think one was a friend of mine from school dad his surname was hallows 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Wayne,

It was your Mum & Dad, Linda & Tony, I played the organ for in 1977-78.

I was playing there when the Jubilee party took place.

A very busy and successful pub in those days.

Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/04/2017 at 08:00, Organgrinder said:

Hi Wayne,

It was your Mum & Dad, Linda & Tony, I played the organ for in 1977-78.

I was playing there when the Jubilee party took place.

A very busy and successful pub in those days.

Tony

Yes Tony thats my parents nice to know your still around buddy 

if you use facebook this is me 

https://www.facebook. com/wayne.pinder you will have to copy the link and remove the space between the full stop and p 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As promised here is a picture of the front of the Station Hotel on the Silver Jubilee day 1977 enjoy and can you see yourself

179981_10150957993476185_332660957_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2017 at 15:11, Wayne Pinder said:

Yes Tony thats my parents nice to know your still around buddy 

if you use facebook this is me 

https://www.facebook. com/wayne.pinder you will have to copy the link and remove the space between the full stop and p 

Hi Wayne, I left facebook because of the amount of notifications I was getting so I can't get on properly now.

Lovely to see the photo up here - that was a great day. Such a shame that those times have gone forever.

All the best mate.

Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

Hi Wayne, I left facebook because of the amount of notifications I was getting so I can't get on properly now.

Lovely to see the photo up here - that was a great day. Such a shame that those times have gone forever.

All the best mate.

Tony

Yes buddy and I know what you mean about notifications I stream pool competitions live now and the amount I get are none stop, I cant even see me on this pic, my parents and sisters and all my cousins but no me lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×