Question for the Transport Guys

southside

Just had a look at some photos taken in 2005 of The Flying Scotsman on its visit to Scarborough and notice there are no windshields fitted! but the new restoration of the The Flying Scotsman shown on TV last night, now has them fitted.

Was the Flying Scotsman originally built with Windshields?

Southside

I take it you mean the smoke deflectors on the smokebox at the front.

No, when originally built by the LNER it did not have these, they were fitted during its BR running days, apparently not a great success. They were designed to stop the smoke exhaust 'sticking' to the sides of the boiler and obscuring the drivers vision, they were supposed to deflect the airflow and lift the smoke away.

As an aside, the loco is currently running in black undercoat with a minimum of numbers/decoration, it is NOT in wartime black as some have stated, once the running trials have ended, it will have its final paint livery applied, as it is with smoke deflectors i would assume that would be Brunswick Green and with BR logos

Nigel L

Fair point.

Although most term it as 'Brunswick Green', it was always described on livery details as 'Dark Green'. Someone has had an original sample tested and has come up with it near to RAL6007, which is near to 'Bottle Green' or 'Deep Bronze Green'. (Ref. Railway Magazine 2011)

Nigel L

Thanks for the correct terminology Lemmy!   As youngsters we played in the paddling pool in Millhouses Park and any time a Train came rattling by and the engine had " smoke deflectors " a cry of its got Winni`s went up.

Pity they haven`t restored The Scotsman to its original Doncaster Works Construction,with out smoke deflectors and with Apple Green livery.

Southside

They've rebuilt the old thing with the bits they had, so it has the double blastpipe and chimney. That precludes the LNER livery really. As the loco was rebuilt from A1 to A3 restoring it to original Donny condition isn't possible. It would have been cheaper to build another one (like Tornado) and stuff and mount 4472.

It makes you wonder how much of the original loco is left. I'm fairly sure most bits would have been replaced during works visits over the years, I've heard that even the frames are probably not original as the A1's were prone to cracking.

I agree with your point about building a new one instead, I think they've spent over £5m on this thing, Tornado cost £3m brand new, I'm not sure how much they've budgeted for the P2 they are building, it must be in that region, but at least it will be a new loco.

Scotsman has been a money pit ever since it entered preservation, successive owners have had to have deep pockets, it's caused many problems to them and some were glad to be rid of it in the end.

Personally I cant see what all the fuss is about this loco, give me Mallard any day!

Nigel L

I heard that maybe some parts of the cab sheeting and maybe 12" of the frames under the cab may be original.

I'm not an LNER fan at all, but the V2s were the best looking to my eyes. The A4s are impressive looking, as were the Coronation Scot streamliners. The P2 as built - what a machine.

The frames for a new build B17 have just been cut, that may be worth watching in the future.

Patriots and Royal Scots are my favourites.